millarworld.tv Comics Creators

2000AD: The Galaxy's Greatest Comic Thread

A nice selection arrived today.

I’ll be honest and say I don’t have fond memories of Calhab Justice but the Death volume I know will be ace. This week’s prog has a great Jim Murray cover.

Strontium Dog: Rage 469-489 - The follow up to Max Bubba is perhaps better but still I felt it dragged a bit and was fairly predictable throughout. Of course it’s written by Grant and drawn by Ezquerra so it’s not bad at all but for me it’s not the epic that some hail it as.

Rogue Trooper: Return of Rogue Trooper 410-419, Antigen of Horst 422-432 & Return to Milli-com 444-449 - So, with the traitor general dead (or is he?), Rogue sets off to try and get his buddies re-gened (again). Although we’ve had this story before, the scene now changes to the planet Horst where instead of fighting men, RT and crew are now faced with crazy bug Nort troopers and helped by Souther camelmen. Weird? yes. Does it work? Yes I think so.

Rogue Trooper: The Hit Man 495-499, Hit 1 520-531, Hit 2 568-572, Hit 3 574-575 & Hit 4 598-603 - Geller takes over as lead writer and it’s definitely a Rogue I do not want to read. It’s a travesty. Rogue becomes an interstellar assassin due to some mystical supernatural beings who want to end all war. They have deduced that there are 12 key people that if eliminated will do just that. Venus Bluegenes acts as a sort of time travelling teleporting Miss Moneypenny and her appearances get a definite ‘Ugh’. Dillon’s art is good but can’t save the mediocre story telling. Even though this atrocity was supposed to last for another 8 hits, it was all wrapped up in a winter special. I’m not sure I have that so I’ll have to check.

Slaine: The Time Killer 411-434 - This is balls out craziness and for me something just didn’t click. Once it gets all omni dimensional and metaphysical it took me out of the story. Slaine being a dick, chopping off heads and deriding Ukko is all good and something I enjoy but when they go in search of the fortress of the Ever-Living Ones the barminess lost me. Slaine and his crew get warped through time by a demonic alien race and we then get a kind of sci-fi tale as Slaine starts using laser cannons, sorry leyser cannons and blasting bad guys. What can’t be questioned though is Glenn Fabry’s sumptuous art.

I remember reading Rogue Trooper “Hitman” in the old Titan books reprint, and really enjoying it at the time. Especially Dillon’s artwork, which I think was his artistic peak. I haven’t read this for a couple of decades now, and have never read any of the subsequent “Hits”. Doesn’t sound like they hold up. Or was it more that they were such a departure for Rogue rather than they were bad comics?

I have to side with them being bad comics. I also don’t like the way Dillon drew Rogue’s helmet.

Tested take a look at the 3A Judge Dredd 1/6 scale figure. I spotted this on HLJ the other day and it looks very nice.

Here is two pages I practiced my lettering on when I first started playing around with letters.

A few years ago I sent them a script for their Future Shocks. I never received a message back, so I assume I was rejected. I’m getting antsy to submit to them again…

-Shawn

hey! I drew that! Boy I didn’t leave a lot of room for dialogue… sorry about that!

Bad Company 500-519 - I remember not being fussed with this when I first read it many years ago but now on my reread slog I realise I was completely wrong! It’s excellent stuff. The story follows new recruit Danny Franks as he somehow ends up in ‘Bad Company’ jetting off to a foreign planet to kill the Krool, the evil bad guys. There isn’t actually much fighting or for that matter many Krool that appear as instead Milligan focuses on the personnel and how war has and is affecting them. At the head of it all is Kano, the mammoth bruising , brooding leader of the bunch. It’s all wrapped up but some lovely clean tight pencils form Ewins. A real treat.

Bad Company: Bewilderness 548-557 - Whilst it isn’t as good as the first story, this is still worth a look. Danny has now completed his metamorphosis from frightened rookie to become a fully entrenched member of the Company. It’s again heavily character driven as new members join, some through no choice of their own, and team tensions and motives form the core of the story.

Bad Company: The Krool Heart 576-585 - I just didn’t feel this. It was a bit too confusing and perhaps even silly towards the end. I get that the story needed a conclusion and perhaps it will read better all in one go but the shift to focus on why the Krool are so aggressive and Kano key relationship to them just jarred with me. Nice art as always though.

Nemesis: The Two Torquemadas Book 7 546-557 - After not loving the previous Book, I thought this had some nice touches. Torquemada going back in time and meeting the original Torquemada produced some funny and twisted moments but it didn’t progress the overall narrative at all. I was left wondering why Nemesis still hadn’t killed Torquemada…no wait he has…but he keeps regenerating…and moving through time…actually I have no idea what was going on and that dampened my enjoyment.

Nemesis: Purity’s Story Book 8 558-566 - Can’t actually remember what happened in this and I only read it about 4 weeks ago.

Nemesis: Deathbringer Book 9 586-608 - The action moves to present day and Torquemada is now a landlord and a government official. Purity suddenly falls for him which doesn’t make much sense and there’s a big fight Torquemada wielding a hedge strimmer. Then the story just ends out of nowhere. I’m not sure how loved Nemesis is as a strip but I have to say I’m not it’s biggest fan. Sadly, and I know many hardcore 2000 ad readers love his stuff but John Hinckleton is also not a favourite of mine. Sorry.

A.B.C. Warriors: The Black Hole 555-581 - This has something to do with black and white and something called the Monad but other than that I had no idea what was going on. It’s not great and SMS’s art is almost indecipherable most of the time as well.

@pjholden @Mark_Millar Nice! And no worries, it’s probably because I have no idea what I’m doing! That’s why I stick to being a writer. Thanks for entertaining us with your art! =D

-Shawn

Strontium Dog: Bitch 505-529 - Plenty of silliness with Ron Reagan being kidnapped and brought to the future but it’s the debut of Durham Red that steals the headlines. Ezquerra draws her demure and sultry yet portrays her deadliness at the same time. Quality.

Strontium Dog: The Rammy 544-553 - Johnny and Middenface plan a sting operation to entrap some crims and as usual McNulty gest the duo into more trouble than they bargained for. Classic SD fare which is a great thing.

Strontium Dog: The Stone Killers 560-572 - Someone has it in for mutants and they get the stone gang to start busting heads. The Stix boys also get in on the act and it perhaps veers off track a little too much but is still enjoyable.

Strontium Dog: The No-Go Job 580-587 - This was a big moment in the history of the strip as Ezquerra was replaces on art duties by Simon Harrison sue to the fact he didn’t agree with the decision to kill Johnny. Come on, no spoilers needed there surely. At first it appears too much of an artistic change but very quickly you realise that what we have is a different type of story telling. The tone and feel changes but it really works. It’s darker and has an intriguing subplot and you can tell early on that Grant is building towards something monumental. There’s a dog, a twist I completely forgot about and the return of Malak Brood. All in all I really enjoyed it.

Strontium Dog: The Final Solution 600-647 - Here it is then, the last SD story that would appear in 2000ad for 300 progs (The Final Solution part 2 is in 883-687). It’s actually 23 parts but there are big stretches of progs where the stripis not present (14 at one point) and that does hamper the flow of the whole thing. The New Church start their coup and it really feels like an epic right form the off. Alongside this we get the introduction of the enigmatic Feral. Apart from Johnny looking a bit waifish and ordinary and the fact that Feral seems to not know who ‘mutant hero’ Alpha is, this is top stuff.

Slaine: The Horned God Book I 626-635 & Book II 650-664 - I didn’t really have much love for the last few Slaine tales even if they did feature great Glen Fabry art, I just felt the writing was too weird. This however is a completely different story. Simon Bisley comes on board and it seems to make Pat Mills try harder to write a tale that can more easily be followed. To unite the surrounding tribes, Slaine decides to acquire the some key treasures. All the while Slough Feg is plotting in the background and Slaine must navigate potential threats from within. It’s lavishly and exquisitely illustrated by Bisley who really gives it his all. By far my favorite Slaine story so far. I can’t remember what happens in book 3 but I’m really looking for to it.

The Dead 510-519 - Milligan madness about some weird guy/race who look human, but I’m not sure he/they are, who dies, I think, and travels to the land of the dead where stuff happens. It started good but I lost interest rapidly.

Freaks 525-547 - More Milligan crazy shenanigans this time aided by John Higgins. Some guy gets whisked of to a strange alien realm (in true Milligan fashion) and suffers interrogation, escapes, befriends a ‘good’ alien and then, as previously, I lost interest.

Universal Soldier 537-543 - Alan McKenzie writes this story of a guy who has a memory plug in that give shim the fighting abilities of great past warriors. It’s naff.

Journal of Luke Kirby: Summer Magic 571-577 - McKenzie redeems himself with this, at the time, fairly out-of-the-2000ad-mold tale of a boy who visits his Aunt and Uncle and gets embroiled in real life magic. Part horror, part thriller and part who dunnit, it’s lovingly illustrated b John Ridgeway. I liked it.

Tribal Memories 585-588- After a couple of dud Milligan strips we get a run of some good uns. The art is roughish and well suited to this ‘man out of place’ tale in which a techno based hot shot brings the last remaining member of an indigenous population into the big city with non surprising results. It’s some what of a stripped back Milligan tale as he doesn’t go overboard with the craziness. I liked it.

Tyranny Rex 566-568 & Under Foreign Skies 582-584 - Two three parters that neither introduce the lead effectively or establish any kind of story structure. In a nutshell, Tyranny is a reptilian humanoid alien
who makes clones of celebrities for rich collectors. So far, so good and easy to follow surely. That’s about where the easy-to follow ends. What Tyranny actually does, how she does it and why she does is kind of glossed over and even the Steve Dillon art and Prince-a-alike guest star can’t save this form being a confusing mess.

Tyranny Rex: Soft Bodies 595-604 - Wow, if you thought the last run was confusing you aint seen nothing yet. Tyranny gets hired by someone and is suddenly a mercenary (?), I think, and the clones start merging together, I think, and then there’s a bad guy who pops up out of nowhere and then Fervant and Lobe show up (characters from the soon to be serialised Indigo Prime stories) and more stuff happens and it all gets convoluted and unbelievably it all takes place in just 28 pages. John Smith has written some of my all time favourite 2000 ad stories but his early work is a bit all over the shop.

Moonrunners 591-607 - This is very ‘Ace Trucking’ right form the off. A motley crew of weirdos on a space faring mission drawn by Belardinelli. Alan McKensie turns in a confusing mess of a story with zero action and a rubbish script. I’m amazed a second series got commissioned.

Rogue Trooper: Cinnabar 624-635 - This is a flashback tale written by John Smith and drawn by Steve Dillon and Kev Walker. Suffice to say it looks great and is just the right side of not being too bonkers. Worth a look if you haven’t read it.

Night Zero 607-616 - Cracking detective noir sci-fi action right here. It’s fast paced, has some dodgy dialogue but features great art by Kev Hopgood and is a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

Beyond Zero 630-634, 645-649 - Not as good as the previous volume but it’s still okay. It is however cheesy with characters resembling Rambo and a female version of Daft Punk alongside giant fungus, a talking tiger and a massive hand with eyes.

Mean Team: Survivor 639-644 - Oh dear. After the tragic events of the last volume, this series should have ended. It was a mistake to revive it with just Henry Moon, still in the body of a panther, the last member of the team and even this short run doesn’t actually conclude anything. A waste of Ron Smith on art.

Judge Anderson: Hour of the Wolf 520-531, Contact 607-609, Beyond the Void 612-613 - Three quite different tales here. The first is a high stakes story that has the main purpose of getting Orlock back into the game, the second is a fun Mark Farmer drawn light hearted tale and the third features Judge Death. All are enjoyable.

Judge Anderson: Helios 614-622 - A more grounded murder mystery with the city psi’s being under pressure due to a sinister presence lurking in the background. David Roach draws a younger looking Anderson.

Judge Anderson: Triad 635-644 - Great opening with rain drenched back streets and a spooky atmosphere. The light hearted, chirpy quipy hipster Anderson is gone and replaced with a more mournful Judge. It’s a well told tale but by the end I didn’t see the point of the Sov’s plan.

I’m up to date on the latest progs and this is the strongest the weekly has been in a while.

I guess that is testament to the quality of the creatives featuring here.

Over the last 4 issues we’ve had -
Rob Williams, Trevor Hairsine, Dylan Teague & Henry Flint on Dredd, Gordon Rennie & PJ Holden on Rogue Trooper, Pat Mills & Clint Langley on Flrsh (his Flesh packaging designs alone are a joy to behold), Pat Mills & Patrick Goddard on Savage and Pete Milligan & Rufus Dayglo on Counterfeit Girl.

And they are all absolutely knocking it out the park. Absolutely tremendous stuff. If only the Meg was the same, it’s been off the boil for a while.

I do worry though about Mills retiring. He’s so key to my enjoyment of 2000ad that I can’t bear the thought of him not writing any more. He just gets it. There’s no-one quite like him, his approach to writing is so unique. The way he manages to tell a story using various techniques and really understanding the power of the artists that he quite obviously handpicks. I always feel transported to another world.

I read the latest prog on the train to work this morning. Great stuff all round.

Agreed Chris, after a bit of a weakish run up to prog 2000 they’ve made up for it with the latest batch of stories.

Haven’t picked up any Progs since 2000. Making a point of leaving work at a decent time today so I can actually get to the comic shop. Give me something to do when the TV is out of commission tonight (how long is left of this bloody Bake Off nonsense?!).

Is this just a general fear - for good reason - or has there been actual news?

After tonight, Channel 4 take possession of a tent, complete with a complimentary Hollywood.

Some sort of British Baking show popped up on PBS recently. Are you lot plagued by prime-time baking? That does not seem quite humane.

Just a general fear, symtomatic of my propensity to sometimes worry about everything and anything for no reason whatsoever.

Excellent! Don’t have to actually be depressed over this… yet.

I secretly harbour a belief that Pat Mills will outlive us all. His righteous anger will sustain him.

I thought that he was the best part of Future Shock.

Edit: Probably not a secret any more…