• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

James L. Sarandis

James L. Sarandis

Superpal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,425 posts
I am waiting. A good friend of mine is going to help me create a motion comic to advertise World's Worst, a 52 page humor graphic novel. Once that's done I'll be putting it up on Kickstarter and praying a lot. I'm also working on a little 5 pager I'm rewriting a five page story and going to send it to Future Quakes, see if it sticks.

I've come across an interesting situation that has led to a bit more waiting. I started Eye, Hand and Voice for a contest I hired two brothers and we banged out 12 pages. After the contest I met my partner and friend Nick Valente and EHV was born again. We decided since I had already spent about a months rent on those 12 pages that Nick would complete the issue. A new problem arose as Nick diligently created page after page there soon became a dramatic gulf between the adequate first half and the sharp, polished second. At first the answer seemed clear, Nick could redo the first half and it'd be set to go. I then looked back over the first issue and while it set up the book well it didn't really show off all Nick and I could do, not like issue two could. So we are back to square one submission wise, but at least when we do submit it will be the best we can do.

Thanks for letting me vent Posted Image .

Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 623 posts

I've come across an interesting situation that has led to a bit more waiting. I started Eye, Hand and Voice for a contest I hired two brothers and we banged out 12 pages. After the contest I met my partner and friend Nick Valente and EHV was born again. We decided since I had already spent about a months rent on those 12 pages that Nick would complete the issue. A new problem arose as Nick diligently created page after page there soon became a dramatic gulf between the adequate first half and the sharp, polished second. At first the answer seemed clear, Nick could redo the first half and it'd be set to go. I then looked back over the first issue and while it set up the book well it didn't really show off all Nick and I could do, not like issue two could. So we are back to square one submission wise, but at least when we do submit it will be the best we can do.

Wasn't 'Eye, Hand and Voice' the strip you submitted to What the Flux?! Comics?

James L. Sarandis

James L. Sarandis

Superpal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,425 posts
Yep, they were going to take it on if we had 30 pages done... we are down to 10.

Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 623 posts

Yep, they were going to take it on if we had 30 pages done... we are down to 10.

Eeek.

Well, maybe once you get back on track they'll still be interested.

jamon g

jamon g

the detective

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Eeek.

Well, maybe once you get back on track they'll still be interested.

I wouldn't worry too much, I think flux is one guy and one book. flux uk wound up without publishing anything i think - jp fitch would know more. they'll publish anyone i think - they're just an advice type outfit where you pay the printing costs and they help out with production.

Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 623 posts

I wouldn't worry too much, I think flux is one guy and one book. flux uk wound up without publishing anything i think - jp fitch would know more. they'll publish anyone i think - they're just an advice type outfit where you pay the printing costs and they help out with production.

Well, they are an indie publisher, so they're certainly not as big as any major comic book company but they're more than one guy and they actually publish a few series.

Here is the website - http://whatthefluxcomics.com/

They have a staff page which shows ten members of staff and a web store page which shows all their titles.

As for Flux UK... yeah, my impression is that it died a death when some series were granted their own titles and they weren't able to find enough replacements. 'Conqueror' and 'Eye, Hand and Voice' were originally due to appear in issue #2 but were ultimately granted their own titles immediately instead.#

Flux UK Issue #1 was published (although I understand your confusion as in the web store it stills list it as available for pre-order).

jamon g

jamon g

the detective

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Well, they are an indie publisher, so they're certainly not as big as any major comic book company but they're more than one guy and they actually publish a few series.

Here is the website - http://whatthefluxcomics.com/

They have a staff page which shows ten members of staff and a web store page which shows all their titles.

As for Flux UK... yeah, my impression is that it died a death when some series were granted their own titles and they weren't able to find enough replacements. 'Conqueror' and 'Eye, Hand and Voice' were originally due to appear in issue #2 but were ultimately granted their own titles immediately instead.#

Flux UK Issue #1 was published (although I understand your confusion as in the web store it stills list it as available for pre-order).

I wasn't being narky, just saying it's Jarrell that runs it and they publish his two comics, red angel and concrete dove. the other titles on there are essentially self-published, using flux as a distributor to get cheaper paper costs. The staff page are freelancers who colour or do pinups/covers but aren't really what i would call 'staff'. you can use them for your book, but you still have to pay their page rates, it's not like image.

Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 623 posts
I understand that they do their best to promote the comics they distribute though, and they have editors there like JP.

Plus they have connections with shops like Forbidden Planet.

Image is a professional publisher; like Marvel, Dark Horse or DC.

So yeah, it's a long way from being published professionally but I'd still say it's a pretty big deal. To have someone look at your work and say that it's good enough that they want to help put it out there definetly matters.

Not that I'm knocking self-publishing, there is a lot of brilliant self-published stuff out there but to be self-published doesn't rely on your stuff being good - it relies on you having the money to pay for everything.

Even if I had the money, I'd rather have myself printed in the small press or by an indie publisher than self-publishing because when you submit something there is quality control. If your work isn't good enough, they will reject you (and I've had plenty of scripts rejected, as well as being accepted).

John Paul Fitch

John Paul Fitch

Editor in Chief - FLUX UK and Australia Comics

• Members
  • Pip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Editor in Chief of FLUX UK and Australia Comics.
    Loves: Comics, Movies, procrastination on the nature of reality, the universe, four dimensional space-time and our place in it.

..and potato scones...love them...

Hates: nothing much...
Hi guys,

Interesting topic here.

What's everyone's views on putting an anthology together again of purely millarworld peeps? Not a Millarworld book, one of our own? A few of us are heading to Kapow this year (sadly not me), it's a prime place for promotion and sales.

Perhaps using Kickstarter to raise funds to publish? An anthology based on a shared theme seems to work well, I'd love to hear topics for the theme we could use, genres etc.

I'd be happy to act as editor along with a few other people and help motivate, harangue and generally annoy the hell out of other creators to get shit done, plus I'd love to write a story for the anthology.

215ink recently put one together, due out in April (which I'm part of) it's 300+ pages and jam packed fuil of cool short stories.

Let's have a discussion.

jamon g

jamon g

the detective

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts
anthologies always feel like buying an album for the single. maybe that's just me!

John Paul Fitch

John Paul Fitch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 360 posts
    Loves: Comics, Movies, procrastination on the nature of reality, the universe, four dimensional space-time and our place in it.

anthologies always feel like buying an album for the single. maybe that's just me!

It's not just you, I'm the same, i've bought anthologies just for certain stories, some of which included work by me.

If the quality control is good enough, the stories are good enough and the price can be kept low, then everyone who buys it is a winner.

Blas Bigatti

Blas Bigatti

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Well, I don't agree. Of course this is personal. I'm a reader of anthologies. I think it's the best place for readers to get to know new talents, and the best place for talents to begin showing their stuff. Thing is you don't know what you're going to come across when you begin reading an anthology, and it's great when you happen to find an author that you like. I started following a couple of authors after reading short stories by them. They're a nice showcase, I think.

GordonM

GordonM

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 577 posts
I'm currently self-publishing a limited run of my debut comic to promote it, spread the word and hopefully attract a publisher. It's called No More Heroes and the tag-line is: "Sid Millar has accidentally killed the world's greatest hero. Now he needs to find out why."

The first ten pages are FREE to read on the official WEBSITE.

Is there any advice people could possibly give me on the best ways to promote it, who to send it to etc? Any help would really be greatly appreciated.

Edited by GordonM, 29 February 2012 - 04:43 PM.

John Paul Fitch

John Paul Fitch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 360 posts

Would anyone be interested in helping put together an anthology if I was to try to get one set up?

Tonycal

Tonycal

When Gotham is in ashes, you have my permission to die!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Interests:Writing, comic books, movies, friends, and exploring the mind.

Would anyone be interested in helping put together an anthology if I was to try to get one set up?

I would be interested in this. How big of a book our you thinking?

GordonM

GordonM

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 577 posts
I'd take part in it.

Mike Ohsfeldt

Mike Ohsfeldt

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction and ancient history.
I would also try to take part in it.

Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 623 posts

I'd love to submit something.

ditta

ditta

like water out of a fish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,900 posts
Count me in.

stuperrins

stuperrins

Victim of Circumstance

• Members