anime

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

M. H. Williams

M. H. Williams

The Patron Saint of John Shaft

• Moderators
  • 3,927 posts

Watched the first ep of the new series "Gundam AGE," not impressed. The story is the fairly basic plotline seen in 0079, SEED, and others, only set much further in the future, presumably centuries after those series took place (though very little appears to have changed since then). Also the enemies appear to be aliens, but I suspect they are not, mostly because that would be stupid. Gundam doesn't do aliens. The real problem though is the character art, which is far more cartoony than usual, more Megaman EXE than Gundam, and the leads look about 3-4 years younger than the average already youthful pilots. The weird thing is, the story so far seems no less serious than other Gundams, with plenty of violence and cost of war and death (if mostly off camera). I'll check out a few more eps, but honestly I think this series needs a graphical overhaul.

The weird part is the weird character designs only extend to the main character and his friends. His supporting cast seems mostly fine.

And this series is headed by game studio Level-5 (the guys behind Dark Cloud, Professor Layton, Rogue Galaxy, and White Knight Chronicles). I think that's why the enemies are 'alien' because Level-5 tends to play in a more mythological pond. Really, this is heroic knight taking up the sword that is his birthright.

Not bad, not great.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• The Millar Street Irregulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,609 posts

The weird part is the weird character designs only extend to the main character and his friends. His supporting cast seems mostly fine.

They're more mature, but still have that slightly rounded off "blobby" style to them, especially noticeable in the hair. They look like adults in Megaman EXE.

And this series is headed by game studio Level-5 (the guys behind Dark Cloud, Professor Layton, Rogue Galaxy, and White Knight Chronicles). I think that's why the enemies are 'alien' because Level-5 tends to play in a more mythological pond. Really, this is heroic knight taking up the sword that is his birthright.

True. I'm still 90% sure it's a Zeon ruse, but they definitely have a distinctive look to them (for Gundam, they actually reminded me a lot of Macross Frontier enemies). I also liked when the kid went all shank-crazy on the dragoon.

Anyways, I'm nowhere near ready to call this new season yet, but I'm iffy on Fate/Zero so far, slightly interesting, slightly dull, same with Persona, HXH is just a lame rehash of the original, good for anyone who's never seen the show but I doubt I can get up for it since, unlike FMA, the original was pretty accurate (at least until the second half of Greed Island), Bakuman is fun enough, but of course I've read the manga so it doesn't wow me, Phi Brain is probably the most fun of the new shows, but also kind of lame in places. So far nothing has really wowed me like a Star Driver, Ano Hana, or Penguindrum (or even a Sacred Seven).

The Lorcan Nagle

The Lorcan Nagle

life is one, two, deculture! Hang in there, me!

• Moderators
  • 9,646 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, comics, movies, death robots, RPGs, wargames, anime
I'm a bit wary about the character designs in Gundam AGE as well, but I've not watched any episodes yet. Any word on who the best subbing groups doing it are?

M. H. Williams

M. H. Williams

• Moderators
  • 3,927 posts

I'm a bit wary about the character designs in Gundam AGE as well, but I've not watched any episodes yet. Any word on who the best subbing groups doing it are?

[Sage] is who I picked up. Seemed fine.

Adam Wednesdays

Adam Wednesdays

You shut up! It IS butter! It is! It is! It is

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,035 posts
I'm watching "Eden of the East" right now, and I really like it. I'm already about halfway through.

A friend also had a couple of episodes of Mawaru Penguindrum... wow. This show is off the friggin wall. Stalker Girl gets sadder and crazier by the second.

It's strange, I never used to watch this much anime. For many years I avoided it like the plague because it never really appealed to me, and after that I grudgingly accepted that there were a couple that I enjoyed in spite of myself. Some time over the last year and a half or so that changed. I still don't care for a lot of it, but once I found the stuff that appealed to me I kept trying to find things that were similar to it. And some of it has been some of the most interesting shows I've seen in that time.

Edited by Adam Wednesdays, 14 October 2011 - 12:26 AM.

M. H. Williams

M. H. Williams

• Moderators
  • 3,927 posts

I'm watching "Eden of the East" right now, and I really like it. I'm already about halfway through.

Remember you got two movies. Those are not optional as they finish the series.

A friend also had a couple of episodes of Mawaru Penguindrum... wow. This show is off the friggin wall. Stalker Girl gets sadder and crazier by the second.

It's strange, I never used to watch this much anime. For many years I avoided it like the plague because it never really appealed to me, and after that I grudgingly accepted that there were a couple that I enjoyed in spite of myself. Some time over the last year and a half or so that changed. I still don't care for a lot of it, but once I found the stuff that appealed to me I kept trying to find things that were similar to it. And some of it has been some of the most interesting shows I've seen in that time.

Overall, the past few seasons have taken a vague dive in quality (personally) as tastes in Japan shift towards more... sexuality-charged content, but there's always a few stand out in each season.

Adam Wednesdays

Adam Wednesdays

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Remember you got two movies. Those are not optional as they finish the series.

Good to know.

Overall, the past few seasons have taken a vague dive in quality (personally) as tastes in Japan shift towards more... sexuality-charged content, but there's always a few stand out in each season.

That's ok, I'm such a latecomer that I have a bunch of older stuff to go back and watch. I'm not so worried about being up on the current trends; the only way I even knew about "Penguindrum" was because Ogul mentioned it here, and the concept sounded too wonky to miss.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,609 posts

That's ok, I'm such a latecomer that I have a bunch of older stuff to go back and watch. I'm not so worried about being up on the current trends; the only way I even knew about "Penguindrum" was because Ogul mentioned it here, and the concept sounded too wonky to miss.

It is! The first half-dozen episodes were hilarious, though it's slowed down a bit towards the middle more into mind-#### territory, which is interesting, but a lot less fun. I hope it shifts back more towards the wacky in the back half.

Adam Wednesdays

Adam Wednesdays

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,035 posts

It is! The first half-dozen episodes were hilarious, though it's slowed down a bit towards the middle more into mind-#### territory, which is interesting, but a lot less fun. I hope it shifts back more towards the wacky in the back half.

Yeah, I'm up to about episode 8 I think. I had a feeling it was going to start getting darker (there were some hints), but I have to admit I was caught off-guard by just how dark and screwed up it got that episode, the main event being

Spoiler

The Lorcan Nagle

The Lorcan Nagle

• Moderators
  • 9,646 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, comics, movies, death robots, RPGs, wargames, anime

[Sage] is who I picked up. Seemed fine.

I ended up grabbing their version last night. Watched the first couple of minutes nd it looks OK so far, but the asthethic is definitely a bit off, and not just the young characters

Adam Wednesdays

Adam Wednesdays

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,035 posts
So a friend of mine convinced me to watch an episode of "Excel Saga," and I only have one question:

What the fuck?!

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,609 posts

So a friend of mine convinced me to watch an episode of "Excel Saga," and I only have one question:

What the fuck?!

Oh, that series is a classic! Pedroooooo!

The Lorcan Nagle

The Lorcan Nagle

• Moderators
  • 9,646 posts
Saying "What the fuck" at least once an episode is like a rite of passage for watching Excel Saga.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,609 posts
So, Gundam Age ep 2. Apparently, not only do the character designs look to be out of Megaman EXE, but the main character's pilot suit looks very similar to a Megaman as well, AND the core gimmick of the new Gundam is straight out of Megaman as well, in that when he defeats an enemy he steals their upgrades (in a fashion). Also, I only just realized with this series that no "beam rifle" in the series so far as actually been a rifle, technically speaking, they've all been "long guns" (since they didn't have rifled barrels). Huh.

The Lorcan Nagle

The Lorcan Nagle

• Moderators
  • 9,646 posts
I watched episode 1 at the weekend and I agree that the design work doesn't fit, especially as the episode seemd to go high on the carnage quotient. I like enough of the setting to keep watching, but it's not grabbed me the same way SEED or 00 or various UC series did.

M. H. Williams

M. H. Williams

• Moderators
  • 3,927 posts

I watched episode 1 at the weekend and I agree that the design work doesn't fit, especially as the episode seemd to go high on the carnage quotient. I like enough of the setting to keep watching, but it's not grabbed me the same way SEED or 00 or various UC series did.

It's certainly no 00, which I feel combined the classic UC-style Gundam shows and the newer AC-style Gundam shows in one neat package. SEED started that, but 00 did it better.

But I can enjoy AGE for now. That's the enjoyable part of resetting series. If you don't like one, you just go watch something else until they switch teams again.

Adam Wednesdays

Adam Wednesdays

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,035 posts
This last week I've been watching "Noir." It's enjoyable, I like the style and the animation's pretty great, but most of the episodes are way too similar, and it doesn't help that the story has no surprises in it whatsoever. If you didn't see every single plot twist in the macro story coming, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Saying "What the fuck" at least once an episode is like a rite of passage for watching Excel Saga.

Only once per episode?

I've watched a couple more episodes (including the last one, which was apparently made purposely too offensive to be shown on TV... I'd believe it), and I can't decide whether this is incomprehensible garbage, or good silly fun that's only partly incomprehensible. Though I suppose that's probably the point.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,609 posts
Yeah, Excel is deliberately just an acid trip. If you can't take that, don't even try Puni Puni Poemi.

Adam Wednesdays

Adam Wednesdays

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Yeah, Excel is deliberately just an acid trip. If you can't take that, don't even try Puni Puni Poemi.

Wait wait wait... isn't Puni Puni Poemi the joke commercial from the last episode? They actually turned it into a real show?

Also, challenge accepted.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,609 posts
Yeah, Poemi was the OVA follow-up. No rules!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users