190 replies to this topic

jefferson l.o.b sergeant

jefferson l.o.b sergeant

To Change? or Not to Change? It's 2 questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Anime, Political Science, weightlifting
I haven't watched any anime since HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD and I'm looking for suggestions.

Ogul, make yourself useful.

Peter Singer

Peter Singer

Spamming my way to 1k posts!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 932 posts
I suggest Naruto if you have too much time to throw away, Devil May Cry if you like the games or good looking anime (though don't expect too much storywise) and finally Chrono Crusade if you have nerves of steel to sit through the first episodes.

If you wanna be blown away? The first ten or so episodes of Death Note will do.

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,824 posts
  • Interests:My wife. People Helping. A narrowing array of comics, movies, and related materials. Any and all things Gundam. Anything by Millar.
All things Gundam.

I think Gundam Wing is a good place to start. It's an isolated universe, with a rich story and a number of fantastic battles. Absolutely worth your time.

Then Gundam Seed. That'll take you some time...and they are both totally worthwhile.

jefferson l.o.b sergeant

jefferson l.o.b sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,078 posts

I suggest Naruto if you have too much time to throw away, Devil May Cry if you like the games or good looking anime (though don't expect too much storywise) and finally Chrono Crusade if you have nerves of steel to sit through the first episodes.

If you wanna be blown away? The first ten or so episodes of Death Note will do.

I've seen NARUTO and I've watched all of DMC. I have seen CHRONO CRUSADE as well,

I haven't watched all of DEATH NOTE.

I'm not an anime newbie so I'm basically looking for the best that the Japanese TV stations have had to offer over the past year to 2 years.

T Masters

T Masters

Totes Sofa King.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,229 posts
Death Note
Monster
You might like GANTZ.

Johnny Henning

Johnny Henning

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,974 posts
For me, no Anime series compares to DARKER THAN BLACK. Perfect crossover for the Japanese and Western sci-fi and superhero fans. DEADMAN WONDERLAND is in a similar vein, but not as satisfying. MONSTER is probably the best, though.

My wife loves all sorts of those long form adventure series. YASUKE: GHOST FILES, NARUTO, FULL METAL ALCHEMIST. Does not like BLEACH, however.

Rory Abel

Rory Abel

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts
Speedgrapher is still one of my favorites.

Nicholas Taggart

Nicholas Taggart

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,277 posts
Tiger & Bunny is my favourite of the last few years.

Edited by Nicholas Taggart, 16 September 2011 - 12:52 AM.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,063 posts
Did you like HotD?

Of the current season, the best one out is Mawaru Penguindrum. It's by the director that did Utena, apparently, and features some really odd and surreal art going on but in a great comedy. It's a bit like FLCL, only slightly less spastic about it. I recommend watching at least to ep 2 whether 1 hooks you or not, because stalker girl makes the show and she doesn't appear until that one. Also, be prepared because each episode has a minute or so "henshin" style scene, a bit like when the Power Rangers summon their robot, that you'll probably want to skip because it's barely interesting the first time, but the rest of the show makes it worthwhile. ;)

Another great one, although a bit mild, is Dantilian no Shoka. It's a bit like Mushishi, in that each episode tells one or two short, self contained stories in which a cursed book is causing trouble and the main characters have to clean it up. The gentle storytelling also involves moments of action, and also a lot of comedy, mostly involving the adorable Dallian character. It's a very beautiful series.

Those are the artsy ones. Now for the action series:

Sacred Seven is the most anime anime evah. It's like if you took all the cliches of anime and crammed them together into a ball, but I like it. It's got a lot of fast-paced action, a hero that's sort of a cross between Strider, Zero, and Kamen Rider, decent humor, a fleet of combat maids (and somehow manages to avoid panty shots), lots of fun.

Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist) is the manga-based action show, a bit like Naruto and D.Grey-Man had a baby. It's really well done though, although as the manga wasn't far along when they started they quickly got too close and went off on an FMA-like tangent around ep 20, and I don't much like the tangent. It's quality work though,good animation, acting, it all works.

Tiger & Bunny is the "American Superhero" series, and definitely worth watching. It does suffer a bit from weaving between solid story-based episodes and random one-shot character vignettes, but once it gets going, it gets going really well. Solid action and comedy, definitely worthwhile.

Oh, and as for the previous seasons, if you haven't watched them already, Ano Hana (Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.​) was the most brilliant series this year, a very touching and high quality slice of life series, only 12 episodes and quite amusing throughout. Also, last year's big series was Star Driver, an over the top giant robot fighting series, not terribly clever, but it never failed to entertain. I think if you like HotD you'd like it too. Oh, and Fractale was very pretty and kinda funny, but trailed off a bit at the end. (12 eps)

I think that's about it for th recent series, there were a few others, but not that were so great. I'd suggest just youtubing them all and seeing if any look good, but I vouch for their quality.

jefferson l.o.b sergeant

jefferson l.o.b sergeant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Did you like HotD?

Of the current season, the best one out is Mawaru Penguindrum. It's by the director that did Utena, apparently, and features some really odd and surreal art going on but in a great comedy. It's a bit like FLCL, only slightly less spastic about it. I recommend watching at least to ep 2 whether 1 hooks you or not, because stalker girl makes the show and she doesn't appear until that one. Also, be prepared because each episode has a minute or so "henshin" style scene, a bit like when the Power Rangers summon their robot, that you'll probably want to skip because it's barely interesting the first time, but the rest of the show makes it worthwhile. ;)

Another great one, although a bit mild, is Dantilian no Shoka. It's a bit like Mushishi, in that each episode tells one or two short, self contained stories in which a cursed book is causing trouble and the main characters have to clean it up. The gentle storytelling also involves moments of action, and also a lot of comedy, mostly involving the adorable Dallian character. It's a very beautiful series.

Those are the artsy ones. Now for the action series:

Sacred Seven is the most anime anime evah. It's like if you took all the cliches of anime and crammed them together into a ball, but I like it. It's got a lot of fast-paced action, a hero that's sort of a cross between Strider, Zero, and Kamen Rider, decent humor, a fleet of combat maids (and somehow manages to avoid panty shots), lots of fun.

Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist) is the manga-based action show, a bit like Naruto and D.Grey-Man had a baby. It's really well done though, although as the manga wasn't far along when they started they quickly got too close and went off on an FMA-like tangent around ep 20, and I don't much like the tangent. It's quality work though,good animation, acting, it all works.

Tiger & Bunny is the "American Superhero" series, and definitely worth watching. It does suffer a bit from weaving between solid story-based episodes and random one-shot character vignettes, but once it gets going, it gets going really well. Solid action and comedy, definitely worthwhile.

Oh, and as for the previous seasons, if you haven't watched them already, Ano Hana (Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.​) was the most brilliant series this year, a very touching and high quality slice of life series, only 12 episodes and quite amusing throughout. Also, last year's big series was Star Driver, an over the top giant robot fighting series, not terribly clever, but it never failed to entertain. I think if you like HotD you'd like it too. Oh, and Fractale was very pretty and kinda funny, but trailed off a bit at the end. (12 eps)

I think that's about it for th recent series, there were a few others, but not that were so great. I'd suggest just youtubing them all and seeing if any look good, but I vouch for their quality.

OK,I will take the Ogul stamp of approval and try these out.

Lord willing, anime awaits!

I have just learned there have been 2 new FIST OF THE NORTH STAR OVA as well.

YES!

M. H. Williams

M. H. Williams

The Patron Saint of John Shaft

• Moderators
  • 3,956 posts
This is the visual guide for this current season (warning huge image):
http://moetron.com/u...ummer_guide.jpg

Mawaru Penguindrum was a bit much for me.

Sacred Seven is fluff, but fun fluff. Straight up Japanese superhero, full of cliches.

Spring 2011
http://moetron.com/u..._spring2011.jpg

Nichijou is a crazy slice of life show in the vein of Azumanga Daioh. Hilarious stuff.

Tiger & Bunny is a weird series about the intersection between heroism and corporations. Try it out.

Ao no Exorcist and Deadman Wonderland are the shonen shows. Young man, special powers, new life situation, fighting.

X-Men is worth a look if you want to see our heroes through the eye of the Japanese.

Winter 2010
http://moetron.com/u...winter2011b.jpg

Wolverine - See X-Men above.

Visual Guide for the upcoming season:
http://moetron.com/u..._fall_guide.jpg

Things that stand out are Gundam Age (the new Gundam series from video game developer Level5), Persona 4, Hunter x Hunter, and the new 'episode' of Gundam Unicorn.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,063 posts

Mawaru Penguindrum was a bit much for me.

Penguindrum is awesome! Did you get to the crazy stalker girl? She (and the penguins) make the series.

Ao no Exorcist and Deadman Wonderland are the shonen shows. Young man, special powers, new life situation, fighting.

Oh yeah, Deadman Wonderland was ok, although they truncated it a bit (they only did the one season of an ongoing manga ans then cut it off) and it was a bit gruesome (even with heavy editing for TV it had a "Saw" quality to it in places).

The Lorcan Nagle

The Lorcan Nagle

life is one, two, deculture! Hang in there, me!

• Moderators
  • 9,850 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, comics, movies, death robots, RPGs, wargames, anime
Is Appleseed XIII being subbed by anyone decent?

Sarah Horrocks

Sarah Horrocks

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts
I can also recommend Blue Exorcist. I've been watching it and enjoying it muchly. I've been watching mostly that and Durarara! and then Tatami Galaxy and House of Five leaves. The latter because I like the mangaka whose work it's based on. And then the former because I love the art style. Durarara has fun character design I think. But Blue Exorcist is the one I've been watching the most lately. It's sort of by the numbers at what it does, but it does it so well that you can't turn away.

Going to check into Mawaru because I loved FLCL and shows like that.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,063 posts
Yes, if anyone must watch Penguindrum, it's Sarah.

Nicholas Taggart

Nicholas Taggart

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,277 posts

Tiger & Bunny is a weird series about the intersection between heroism and corporations. Try it out.

I think it has great characters. Really great characters. And it manages to pull off the corporate/reality tv superhero thing that a million comics have unsuccessfully tried to do.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,063 posts

I think it has great characters. Really great characters. And it manages to pull off the corporate/reality tv superhero thing that a million comics have unsuccessfully tried to do.

Yeah, it manages well it by 1. Not having "free" heroes around to compete against (what's the point of being a hooker in a town full of sluts?), 2. not having them charge for their heroic services, but rather just be highly visible and promote products with their image while they do the public good, and 3. by actually having real company logos slathered onto their costumes. I mean, how much cooler would Booster Gold be with a Microsoft or EA or even someone in-house like Mattle or WB?

M. H. Williams

M. H. Williams

The Patron Saint of John Shaft

• Moderators
  • 3,956 posts

I can also recommend Blue Exorcist. I've been watching it and enjoying it muchly. I've been watching mostly that and Durarara! and then Tatami Galaxy and House of Five leaves. The latter because I like the mangaka whose work it's based on. And then the former because I love the art style. Durarara has fun character design I think. But Blue Exorcist is the one I've been watching the most lately. It's sort of by the numbers at what it does, but it does it so well that you can't turn away.

Going to check into Mawaru because I loved FLCL and shows like that.

Durarara! is quite awesome, as is the team's earlier show Baccano.

Yes, if anyone must watch Penguindrum, it's Sarah.

Very true. It's definitely up Sarah's alley.

Adam Wednesdays

Adam Wednesdays

You shut up! It IS butter! It is! It is! It is

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,035 posts

For me, no Anime series compares to DARKER THAN BLACK. Perfect crossover for the Japanese and Western sci-fi and superhero fans.

I liked "Darker Than Black" quite a bit. I think things got a little iffy in the second season, and it's best moments were the ones focussing on the characters as opposed to the big macro plot (which was pretty perfunctory in the first season, and not even adequately explained in the second). Lots of fun though.

T Masters

T Masters

Totes Sofa King.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,229 posts
I wasn't a fan of Darker than Black.

Speedgrapher was pretty cool though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users