- - - - - UPDATED with new PICS

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
  • Interests:My wife. People Helping. A narrowing array of comics, movies, and related materials. Any and all things Gundam. Anything by Millar.

As much as it'd be fun to have a thread for each custom figure / repaint that I do - I figured I'd put them all in one place. I figured I'd get it started by posting the two I just finished.

The first is Nemesis. I saw the Ed McGuinness designed Atom figure at a Convention- and nabbed it, thinking it would be a perfect base for this custom. It wasthen a simple matter of finding the right kind of white, and applying multiple,consistent layers to the body. The mask I did some detail work on. I intentionally left the mask theway the Atom figure had it - even though Nemesis' face was slightly morecovered. I did this because ultimately the identity of the Nemesis is about theman in the suit himself - not the face of the man under it. I thought the lookhe had here - was perfect, and there was no need to alter that by altering theway the existing mask sat on the face.

The cape is from a Marvel Legends: Sentry (beardless) figure (and the Sentry will be showing up as someone else soon wink.gif ). The gun is from a GI Joe Extreme Deluxe Iron Claw figure. I used a power drill to drill a hole in the right hand to fit the gun.

He wasn't super tough to make - but he was definitely a lot of fun. Took a lot of layers to get the white as rich looking as it needed to be.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG066.jpg
  • IMG057.jpg
  • IMG064.jpg
  • IMG062.jpg
  • IMG055.jpg
  • IMG054.jpg

Paul B

Paul B

Lurker.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 293 posts
That looks awesome!

brucegray666

brucegray666

LAW

• +Subscribers
  • 24,364 posts
Looks good. Needs more red maybe?

Posted Image

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
  • Interests:My wife. People Helping. A narrowing array of comics, movies, and related materials. Any and all things Gundam. Anything by Millar.
The 2nd custom I mentioned above is...and this may come as a shock to some of you (almost no one :) ) - but I am a huge fan of the Alan Moore / Neil Gaiman told storesof Marvel Man / Miracle Man. In my plans to eventually make the Miracle Manfamily, and having the perfect base figure in this Damian Wayne - I went for thisone. I was inspired to go this route, now, because I've just finishedcompleting my collection of the entire run of the book - and had found outGaiman's plan was to initiate the return of Johnny Bates! Thus - he is rebornhere, as we've yet to get the completion of Gaiman's actual run.

Since' I'd previously done a Marvel Man / Miracle Man - I knew exactlywhat I was in for this time - and the process went really fast. This one onlytook around 72 hours or so.

I used a sharp pocket-knife to cut and round off the spikes on the endof both gloves/hands, and then repainted the entire figure with two coats ofwhite - right off the bat. I then painted it yellow, but it ended up with avery awful looking color, so I mixed two paints together to get the color yousee now. i applied a number of coats as the two paints mixed together seemed todry very quickly.

Having done the detail work previously, and having KM's symbol be farless intensive in design than my previous MM - it wasn't difficult to get itright. I applied a few coats of both black and red.
I opted for the red, instead of blue for the gloves and neck areas. WithMarvel now owning the rights to the character(s) - all of the colored materialthey've shown KM wearing, replaced the red gloves and such, with blue. Idecided to keep the original red; as it was that vein of the character I foundinspiring.

I'm pretty happy with it. Should I find a base figure in the future thatwould make a suitable Kid Miracle Man with his attire from issue 15 - I'llprobably do that.

Thanks for checking it out, folks. For this one - I posted what he started as, a few of the ending pics, and then a pic of him next to my previous Marvel Man / Miracle Man...which I may share some later on in the thread.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG127.jpg
  • IMG128.jpg
  • IMG130.jpg
  • IMG126.jpg
  • IMG067.jpg

Tonycal

Tonycal

When Gotham is in ashes, you have my permission to die!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • Interests:Writing, comic books, movies, friends, and exploring the mind.
Nice work Stephen!!! I like both of them. As Bruce said you need more blood on Nemesis. It would be awesome if you did another Nemesis with splats of blood on him.

Keep it up man. I would buy these off you if you sold them. They are really cool.

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts

Nice work Stephen!!! I like both of them. As Bruce said you need more blood on Nemesis. It would be awesome if you did another Nemesis with splats of blood on him.

Keep it up man. I would buy these off you if you sold them. They are really cool.

Yeah - I actually thought about that - as Yu's image of Nemesis was actually one of my favorite produced. But I wanted to do a straight up, white one first. I have plans to do another in the future - but I want to use a different body type (despite my obvious love for (most, not all, but most of) the McGuniess style on this figures. I'll probably use a Batman, as many have suggested - but I'll be looking for JUST the right one. And that's usually the big thing for me - finding the right base figure. Once I get started on something - it flows pretty naturally. It's finding the current platform to build on which is the most time consuming.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

And thanks for your thoughts on buying them, Tony. At this point, I'm only making figures I really like for my collection, and feel somewhat robbed we haven't been given a figure of by the major manufactures - but at some point in the future, I'd be open to putting some together for you. If it's something you (or anyone else) is interested in, maybe nearer to Thanksgiving and Christmas, when the chaos of my life slows down a bit - we can chat a bit more!

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
I snapped this the other night, trying to get a feel for whether or not they flowed together well (which was part of the plan in using this figure for KM) - and was really happy with the result. They look good together.

Now - I'm looking for a decent base for Young MM.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20110809_220314.jpg

niall doonan

niall doonan

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Books, comics, film, football, tennis and writing.
Really cool stuff there Stephen, I especially like the Nemesis one.

mattgarvey1981

mattgarvey1981

Victim of Circumstance

• +Subscribers
  • 1,107 posts
seeing your toys just makes me smile.
actually that sounds weird. :)
Nice work buddy.

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
I have two figures I'll be rolling out to the online world in the next few days...so in the mean time, as I hadn't posted this one in this thread yet...I thought I'd warm you all up with Superior. My Nemesis custom ended up getting bumped, and knocking Superior over...so I had to do a few touchups on him. Here he is, post-touchups, a moment or so ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• Superior.jpg

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
12:45am here in KC, MO - and I can officially say that I just finished Project: Age of Miracles. I'm now assembling the stand he'll be on. My hope is I can get it assembled and molded together it hold the project up. Looking forward to sharing this with you folks tomorrow or Monday! I'm really proud of how this one came out.

Project: Fallout (the 2nd project I mentioned above) should be finished settling in a few days. I have to wait for the paint to settle to make sure all the nooks and crannies are the way they need to be.

I'm really thrilled with the progress I made this weekend. So much so...that I have already planned out my next custom, as well, and ordered the majority of the things I need. I just need to get ONE more, which I may buy tonight or tomorrow!

craggy

craggy

Viva Espana

• +Subscribers
  • 18,104 posts

12:45am here in KC, MO - and I can officially say that I just finished Project: Age of Miracles. I'm now assembling the stand he'll be on. My hope is I can get it assembled and molded together it hold the project up. Looking forward to sharing this with you folks tomorrow or Monday! I'm really proud of how this one came out.

sorry to tell you buddy, but Assembly is part of the project. Not done til it's done. Looking forward to seeing your work though.

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
I submit to you, my friends on Millarworld, what I have been referring to as Project: Age of Miracles - which is actually a rendition of future Marvel Man / Miracle Man.

A few months back, I completed the run of all Marvel Man / Miracle Man related books - and was so thrilled, that I reread the run. While...when I came upon the cover of issue 13 - an idea just hit me. Miracle Man's costume is slightly altered in his future retelling of what we got there...so I decided I wanted to do a 2nd version of it with this future, altered costume. It also represented the attitude I wanted to capture with this one.

It's a total repaint - with a few custom made pieces. I free-hand painted everything - including the symbol, which IU blocked off, using a pencil (the same way I did the previous MM symbol on the my previous MM custom). I also cut the cape off (and used it for the Nemesis custom) and filled the holes it left. The belt, ankle gauntlets, and wrist gauntlets are all made out of a paint sample, of all things. I collected a bunch a paint samples when I was trying to figure out the right color for the Superior custom, and had one left over. So I cut em' to size and superglued them on.

I included the cover to issue 13 as a reference point. For the Moore run, this cover represents the point of view this part of the story is being told from. The battle's done. The victories won. And now MM sits and recounts, and observes the intricacies of this flower with lips. I saw that in the Sentry figure base, I used. I see this MM reaching out into possibilities. At least that was the vision I brought to this.

Anyway - hope you guys enjoy. Will definitely look forward to feedback.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20111009_142238.jpg
  • IMG_20111009_141925.jpg
  • IMG_20111009_141948.jpg
  • IMG_20111009_142110.jpg
  • IMG_20111009_142125.jpg
  • IMG_20111009_142224.jpg
  • Miracleman_Vol_1_13.jpg

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
Hey again folks.

This is another custom I have finished in the last few days, and thought I'd share it all with you. I wanted to wait though, until it coincided with a day that there was an issue of Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man dropping. This is the project, on twitter, I referred to as Project: Fallout - almost to obviously referring to Miles Morales 1st Spider-Man costume, seen in Ultimate Fallout #4.

While I'm absolutely enjoying his story - I am yet at the point of saying he is my Spider-Man. Seems more than a little immature for such a statement, as this juncture, to me. That said - I'm pretty excited for a bold, new direction - and wanted to celebrate that a bit. Below - is my first phase of that process.

The base is a SpectacularSpider-Man (the one with the interchangeable, Peter Parker head). My puppychewed off it's right hand - so I'd been looking for something to do w/ it forawhile already...and when I saw Ultimate Fallout #4, it was a fast no brainer.
Since' the SpectacularSpider-Man's right hand was already missing, I went ahead and cut the left handoff, and replaced both hands with Nate Grey / X-Man hands, giving him a fist,and a more cautious / blocking hand. I had a broken X-Man figure as well, so itdidn't bother me lopping off his hands for this custom. The X-man hands wereperfect because they already had the bunching from his suit around the wrists,so I was able to transform that into the bunched up gloves that didn't fitMiles right, in the issue. I did a few coats of red on the hands, to make thegloves - and then used a felt, black pen to put the webbing on the gloves - soit was all done by hand.

The rest were all heavycoats of blue, to cover up the webbing that was on the rest of the body. That'shonestly what took the most amount of time - was ensuring that was as coveredas it could be. And the blue was carefully chosen. I tried 4 different versions- to ensure I picked the right one. However - everytime I went back to the issueitself - whenever the costume was shown in light, it was a brighter blue. Thefight took place at dark, so it looked dark in the issue - but whenever lighthit it - it was a brighter-color blue (more-so than PP's version) - so Idecided to go this direction. And when this blue paint is in a darker setting,it does have the same darker coloring as in the book. I'd include one of those,but the pics weren't quite turning out the way I'd hoped, with the lower gradecamera I was using, in order to include 3 pictures in my post (my higher gradecamera took fantastic pics with the darker background - but I wanted to includemore than 2).

The knee and elbow pads werethe same thing - a few coats of paint, and then the black, felt pen (followedby touchups, of course).

All in all, I'm pretty happywith how it came out. And I have some plans, in the near future, to do a MilesMorales' actual costume (from the current, Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man covers),as well.

Will appreciate feedback -both endorsing and critical! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20111009_143947.jpg
  • IMG_20111009_144131.jpg
  • IMG_20111009_144201.jpg

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
Thanks to Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #4...I got a MUCH better look at Miles' Fallout costume. There were things I could only kind of see, or were not consistent from panel to panel, where I didn't want to do something, and have it come out wrong. So I called it good before - and put it up here, and elsewhere.

That said - with Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man issue 4 in hand...I decided to go ahead and make a couple of noticeable updates to make it a more accurate reflection of the actual costume. I only took 1 pic, for now - but I figured some of you might enjoy a look-see at the updates being made in progress. It's still a waze from completion, as it takes time to full in grooves and such, from the previous webbing.

Anyway - enjoy this initial shot. :) Thanks for checking it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20111117_212021.jpg

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
Hey folks - thought I'd share a few update photos that I'd forgotten to post. Like I mentioned in my above post - I got MULTIPLE better looks at Miles' full costume in the last few issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. I finished this a number of weeks ago - but again, for got to put them in hear. Will certainly appreciate feedback - both positive and critical.

Also - I have 2 more active customs I am currently working on, and 2 that I am considering / are in the works - so a total of 4, custom-buns in the oven.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20111225_100614.jpg
  • IMG_20111225_100626.jpg
  • IMG_20111225_100643.jpg
  • IMG_20111225_100706.jpg

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
The newest addition to my custom family is a Smallville-Superman. This is the first custom I've done where I've used someone else's recipe. I generally do things all myself (come up with, and execute the idea) - but saw no reason to reinvent the wheel on this one, as it really worked well. I do have some plans to repaint it (or one JUST like it) in the future, to that of the Superman Returns colors and vibe (to be consistent with the show design) - but for now, I'm going to leave it like it is.

I've had a love / hate relationship with Smallville. I enjoyed it seasons 1-5, episode 12, HATED the rest of 5 into season 6, hated it a little less in 7, and a little less in 8...but I really appreciated it in season 9 - which is when I knew, someday, I was going to make this custom a reality. 10 happened - but didn't achieve the greatness of season 9, and didn't show me what I was hoping for in the finale...though it was satisfying in it's own, Smallville way.

Simple recipe. A Smallville (Justice): Clark Kent head (series 2), and a Justice League of America: Superman (series 1 - design, I believe, by Ed Benes from the relaunch after Infinite Crisis). I popped the head off both figures, and sanded down the neck of the Superman (with use of a dremel tool) to match that of the shape of the Smallville figure. I then took the double-balled neck joint out of the JLA-Superman head, and handed it down to match the shape and design of the Smallville figure. I drilled a tight whole in Superman's body - popped the newly created, neck joint in, with some gorilla glue to ensure security - and then popped a repainted / touched up, Tom Welling head on. And that's pretty much it. His head maintains the full movement and functionality that the Smallville head enjoyed.

It's a solid looking figure, by my standards...giving us a better glimpse at Tom Welling as he should have been seen, since' season 6 forward...but I digress from that. I'm glad I finally put it together - and I hope you folks enjoy a peek.

Attached Thumbnails

• S1.jpeg
  • S3.jpeg
  • S5.jpeg
  • S6.jpeg
  • S7.jpeg

Stephen G

Stephen G

My Doctor

• +Subscribers
  • 8,819 posts
My Batman: 100 and Superior threads expired - so I thought I'd throw a few pics back in here, while I work on a few other customs. Here are some shots of Paul Pope's Batman: Year 100. I have close up, detail shots too - if folks are interested in those.

I'll post some Superior ones a bit later on.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01088.JPG
  • DSC01085.JPG
  • DSC01096.JPG
  • IMG_20110717_174047.jpg
  • DSC01093.JPG

James L. Sarandis

James L. Sarandis

Superpal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,423 posts