24 replies to this topic

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hi, I am one of the creators of a new online free webstrip called Alagg the Barbarian. The strip originally came about after the Ka-Pow Con this year where I was inspired to get off my arse and be creative. After listening to the Mark Millar panel and hearing how many plans he had in the pipeline, I just had to do something.
And here it is; an unemployed warrior looking to fit into town life again with a cast of hundreds to help him out.
Above are a few examples of the madcap and dumb barbarian who has the IQ levels of the incredible Hulk (pre-Peter David).
We are nearly up to 100 episodes in 100 days and we would love you to check us out.
we can be found daily at
artists site

or

My link

I promise if you love anything to do with Lovecraft, Jim Starlin, Howard the Duck, Michael Moorcock and even Conan, then this could be the strip for you (well that's what we are hoping!!)

What we are looking for is feedback to make the strip better as we near the one anniversary mark.

Thanks for reading and hoped you like what you saw

Paul Rose
(artist)

brucegray666

brucegray666

The Walking Dredd

• +Subscribers
  • 25,160 posts
Another Barbarian on MillarWorld? Is there room for two of them on the boards?!?

100 strips in as many days is pretty damned impressive workrate. I'll be sure to check out your website Paul.

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Another Barbarian on MillarWorld? Is there room for two of them on the boards?!?

100 strips in as many days is pretty damned impressive workrate. I'll be sure to check out your website Paul.

I'm sure there is enough room on the forums to support these two barbarian strips!
I think you will agree that apart from the word "barbarian" that we are worlds apart in terms of content and style.
But I'm sure you weren't being serious but I think sword and sorcery is in the limelight in all medias at the moment.

The daily strip is planned for a full 365 episodes in its first year which is a big workload and we are trying to set up the website at the same time. just trying to spread the word now by networking.

Cheers for the comment Bruce, always good to hear from a fellow forumer (is that a word?)

Alagg can also be found as a flipbook at
My link

which is a cool way to read a load of strips in one go.

laine lolauc

laine lolauc

You can call me Polonius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my free time writing. My other interests include drinking rum and eating things I shouldn't.
what program are you using for the 3d modeling?

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

what program are you using for the 3d modeling?

I use the 3D program Poser and postwork in Photoshop.

brucegray666

brucegray666

The Walking Dredd

• +Subscribers
  • 25,160 posts
Just read all 99 episodes. Laughed out loud several times, cracking stuff! Looking forward to episode 100!

laine lolauc

laine lolauc

You can call me Polonius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my free time writing. My other interests include drinking rum and eating things I shouldn't.

I use the 3D program Poser and postwork in Photoshop.

thanks

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Just read all 99 episodes. Laughed out loud several times, cracking stuff! Looking forward to episode 100!

Thanks for that Bruce,

great that you read all 99 episodes and I hope you could see an improvement?
We are hoping by the first anniversary that we can do the strip in our sleep and get ourselves a life during the day!

You also reminded me that I didn't mention the facebook page My link

and the writers page link writers blog
where I believe episode 100 is already up.

next up is the website!

Paul

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

thanks

I forgot to ask but what did you think of the strips?

Edited by Paul Rose, 09 August 2011 - 07:19 AM.

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The life of an unemployed Barbarian never runs smoothly and pillow talk has never been so strange!
For more of the barbarians adventures which passed over 100 episodes this week go to
My link

Thanks for reading

Edited by Paul Rose, 11 August 2011 - 10:20 PM.

laine lolauc

laine lolauc

You can call me Polonius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

I forgot to ask but what did you think of the strips?

i found myself uncomfortably aroused by Alagg in a vinyl maid's costume, and if that's not enough to make you want to read the other 96 (which are considerably less appropriate for a general audience) i can also honestly say that some of them were even funny!

Jacowboy (Jonathan)

Jacowboy (Jonathan)

half right, half wrong & entirely delicious!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,374 posts
But more importantly: Can you post that sweet pic you use as your avatar? :happy:

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

i found myself uncomfortably aroused by Alagg in a vinyl maid's costume, and if that's not enough to make you want to read the other 96 (which are considerably less appropriate for a general audience) i can also honestly say that some of them were even funny!

I forgot to mention that some themes were adult in nature but I'm sure the blog page has warning on the front page.
Glad you like the transvestite Alagg because I can say that he might need that dress again in the near future. Not much of a spoiler but well worth waiting for.
Cheers for the feedback and do please keep following us as we take the barbarian in to some weird comicworld places.

But more importantly: Can you post that sweet pic you use as your avatar? :happy:

Hi Jonathan,

the pic in the avatar is my rendition of some of my favourite Marvel characters that I grew up with.

Posted Image

Any chance telling me what you think of the Alagg strip?
You can find more of my superhero, nude and barbarian 3D renders at
Art page

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Posted Image

A re-post to celebrate the opening of Conan 3D even though he has nothing on our man, Alagg!

Edited by Paul Rose, 19 August 2011 - 10:58 AM.

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Posted Image

Kavanagh

Kavanagh

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts
I like most of what I read. Not crazy about the art, but that's just me.

Looks awesome, man.

jamon g

jamon g

the detective

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts
yeah the daz 3d/poser models are a bit off putting - maybe try render them in a toon shader or something? or actually, seeing as how you're using them to save time (assuming) why not do the whole homemade heroes Wizard schtick and use action figures?

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I had to laugh at jamon g's comments! Use action figures!!! WTF!

I don't mind people not liking the 3D models but to think I have to change my style to suit their tastes is not on my radar.
This is what we do and I don't see anything else out there like our strip.

Please keep comments coming in because I do like to hear peoples thoughts. I'm not grumpy all the time!!!

Here is the next promotional image
Posted Image

jamon g

jamon g

the detective

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

I had to laugh at jamon g's comments! Use action figures!!! WTF!

I don't mind people not liking the 3D models but to think I have to change my style to suit their tastes is not on my radar.
This is what we do and I don't see anything else out there like our strip.

Please keep comments coming in because I do like to hear peoples thoughts. I'm not grumpy all the time!!!

Here is the next promotional image

oh i didn't mean to niggle you, i was just discussing the poser models. There's actually stacks of comics that use poser/daz, have been since they came out. had a quick look, here's an article on some comics that use poser: http://www.comixpedi...title=3D_comics

Posted Image

Posted Image

if you go on any of the poser/daz forums there's a ton of strip humour with them, usually using the batman and captain america etc models. The reason I suggested action figures is because wizard used to do those strips with them, as they have the same speed as the poser models and are pretty funny. here's a similar vein: (I'm just suggesting these because you're doing a strip per day, and time constraints mean having to using basic renderings and figures so I figured the art was secondary to the comedy, no other reason)

Posted Image

Paul Rose

Paul Rose

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the link Jamon G.

The idea of now buying action figures and backgrounds to do a daily strip now that I have set up over 40 characters in the world of Alagg seems strange.
I admit that the Nerdi strip looks good but the origins of the Alagg strip come from a different place.
I was doing pin-up pictures of super-heroines and felt I needed to do something else with skills I had learnt in Poser.

A friend of mine and me decided that a daily strip for a year posted on the net would be a good way to get our stories out to more people.
Judging by your posts, I can see that you do have knowledge of Poser program and must realize that to produce 3 panels is not a quick way of doing "newspaper-style" strip.
It would be so much quicker to do a Hagar the Horrible or Beau Peep style strip.

What I'm trying to say is that we started with the art first, found an idea that would work on a daily basis and ran with it.

I know people can find it off putting and the purists will always like linework but then I can only hope that the strips humour keeps most people reading.

Again thanks for your comments and reference, much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users