Feast for Crows
Spoiler

Ricardo_C

Ricardo_C

These are attack eyebrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,915 posts
So I'm just starting A Feast for Crows, and realizing how many plotlines from A Storm of Swords are being left dangling, presumably to be picked up again in A Dance with Dragons. It's killing me that I have to wait until July to get the whole (as 'whole' as it will be till the series is done in about 2050 or so), but you old hands have been waiting for 11 years for some of these plots to be updated! I guess GRRM is not only sadistic toward his own characters :D

Mike

Mike

wisnae there at a'

• Admin
  • 394 posts
Yes.

Though to be honest, it's been so long since I first read them that if the TV series hadn't come along and reignited my interest, I doubt I'd be as eagerly anticipating Dance as much as I am now.

I hope he manages to finish the series quicker than it has taken him to write this one.

kieranbeech

kieranbeech

Let the mischief begin!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts
  • Interests:Sheffield United FC, Football (the real kind) Comics, Drawing, Music, Films, TV, History, Coaching Football.
Well I'm reading the first book at a comfortable trot and I am just passing the halfway marker now. I'm glad I watched the series first because it has helped me become immersed in the story, I love the bits that can't be portrayed as well on TV, all of Ned's inner moments build on this character very well, and though I know he will meet his untimely demise very shortly, I still find myself routing for him to pull through

He's the type of hero I've enjoyed reading for sometime now, the gallant noble and honorable hero. The hero stories are built around, yet the thing that makes this story so good is that it rips that very character from you quite unexpectedly, (well it was whilst I watched the series) it toys with you and leads you to some unexpected paths, I'm thoroughly enjoying the story and wish I could discuss more with you all but I'm still a few weeks behind on that.

Ricardo_C

Ricardo_C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,915 posts
So I'm halfway through AFFC, and frankly, I'm not enjoying it as much as the other three. Thankfully, GRMM knows how to keep the story interesting even when dealing with the entr'acte of sorts the book is, but the amount of exposition needed to bring us up to speed on the Dorne and Pyke storylines has been a little too much, at times. It's obvious GRMM hadn't anticipated the plot branching off in this direction. GRMM's favorite world-building trick, mentioning characters and events in passing in such a way that you accept them as part of the story without further detail, is pushed to the very limits in AFFC, to the point where I'm almost wishing for less detail and more plot development. Also, the retcon involving
Spoiler
is the most contrived bit in the story yet. I hope the payoff justifies it, but so far, it's a distraction more than anything, and reeks of lack of foresight.

Mind you, when I say I'm not enjoying it as much, it just means I'm reading 50 pages a day rather than 200, so I'm still very well entertained, but hoping ADWD closes out the intermission on a good note.

Edited by Ricardo_C, 10 July 2011 - 05:24 PM.

David Chapman

David Chapman

Agent of M.I.L.L.A.R.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,359 posts
A Dance With Dragons is out on Tuesday, in case anyone missed the announcement. Do not post unprotected spoilers, or I shall cut off your manhoods and feed them to the goats.

Gavin Meakings

Gavin Meakings

Cheerleader of Death

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts
The Kindle version of Dance with Dragons has some pretty poor formating errors right from the start :( Given that they are only charge slightly less then the hard copies you would think the publishers would actually proof read the digital copies as well.

Mike

Mike

wisnae there at a'

• Admin
  • 394 posts
Comment with no spoilers: Well, fuck.

It's going to be a long wait until The Winds of Winter now.

Patrick A

Patrick A

Paddy, The Super Mod!!

• Admin
  • 4,528 posts
You read the whole thing already? Did it come out earlier in Europe?

Mike

Mike

wisnae there at a'

• Admin
  • 394 posts
I've just come off nights - I was wide awake for a few hours in the middle of the night and it had already downloaded to my iPad by then, so I read half of it last night, and the rest this afternoon.

Reading quickly is my mutant power.

Obviously, I now need other people to read quickly too so I can talk about it. Mush! Mush!

David Chapman

David Chapman

Agent of M.I.L.L.A.R.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,359 posts

The Kindle version of Dance with Dragons has some pretty poor formating errors right from the start :( Given that they are only charge slightly less then the hard copies you would think the publishers would actually proof read the digital copies as well.

The Kindle version of ADWD actually costs more than the hard copy, because 20% VAT is added onto the price. :angry:

I have my dead tree edition and have begun.

Ricardo_C

Ricardo_C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,915 posts

I've just come off nights - I was wide awake for a few hours in the middle of the night and it had already downloaded to my iPad by then, so I read half of it last night, and the rest this afternoon.

Reading quickly is my mutant power.

Obviously, I now need other people to read quickly too so I can talk about it. Mush! Mush!

Well come on, doc! Give us a grade at least. You know, 1-10, A-F, 1%-100%, give us something to go on. Or just compare it to the others, if you would.

Mike

Mike

wisnae there at a'

• Admin
  • 394 posts
I enjoyed it, though not quite as much as some of the early reviewers seem to have done.

I think it could have done with some tighter editing; without spoiling, two of the major plot threads share a feeling of being padded, only to accelerate towards the very end to generally evil cliff-hangers. I think, given the difficulties there has been in Martin advancing his story, that it was a brave thing to do to end with quite as many significant cliffhangers as he does.

Taken together, the fourth and fifth books serve to bridge from the events at the end of A Storm of Swords towards the bigger stories that will presumably now occupy the remaining two books. I think that'd have been great if they'd come out soon after SoS as a single book, with what is now the sixth book following on close behind.

But it's well written, it barrels along readily enough, there are a couple of game-changing revelations about the players in the Game of Thrones, there are great moments for several of the characters, and the cliff-hangers do genuinely leave you wanting the next book as soon as possible. But it's another book that is more about set up, about moving the pieces around the board, than about major events happening in their own right.

kieranbeech

kieranbeech

Let the mischief begin!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts
  • Interests:Sheffield United FC, Football (the real kind) Comics, Drawing, Music, Films, TV, History, Coaching Football.
How the flying frig have you read it that quick Mike, I know you've explained sort of , but are you Jonny Five? Geez thats some majorily quick reading.

Well on my reading, I slowed down over the weekend by a considerable ammount, it took me 2 days to read Davos chapter, but I made up for it yesterday with quite a few chapters.

ADevenney

ADevenney

Racing is Life.

• +Subscribers
  • 41 posts

Comment with no spoilers: Well, fuck.

It's going to be a long wait until The Winds of Winter now.

I second this. Man...

kieranbeech

kieranbeech

Let the mischief begin!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts
Well I've just reached
Spoiler

I like this story alot but please tell me at least some good happens to one character. Oh well more reading to see how things pan out. Tyrion has really grown as a character in ACoK.

kieranbeech

kieranbeech

Let the mischief begin!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts
Right reading on I'm starting to wonder ....

Spoiler

Mike

Mike

wisnae there at a'

• Admin
  • 394 posts

I like this story alot but please tell me at least some good happens to one character.

Almost everyone gets a shag at some point.

kieranbeech

kieranbeech

Let the mischief begin!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Almost everyone gets a shag at some point.

Ha!

Paul F

Paul F

Perpetually Tired

• +Subscribers
  • 10,705 posts
Well, fuck.

A Dance with Dragons Spoilers:
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users