24 replies to this topic

Mark Millar

Mark Millar

Kung Fu Master

• Chief
  • 7,288 posts

POPULAR

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Okay, here we go. I've waited literally YEARS so I could tell you this smile.png

Now Kick-Ass wraps today and explains it all. Basically, the books fit into each other as so...

*WANTED explains how the world used to have superheroes, but in 1986 they were all defeated and the bad guys made us magically forget the heroes ever existed in the first place. We remember the heroes simply as pop-culture characters, that red cape hanging up in the Professor's lair at the end of Wanted #2 belonging to...

*The Utopian from JUPITER'S LEGACY. Jup's Leg is a series of movies and comics that exist in the real world and which Superman and all the Superman imitators over the years have been an attempt to remember. But the Utopian is the one who actually existed, though he now only exists as a comic-book and (COMING SOON as it says on the boards) movie character.

*KICK-ASS is about a kid who lives in this world without heroes, but who loves them so much that he BECOMES one. The bad guys rule the Earth, posing as billionaires and world leaders, but Dave still loves and believes in heroes. He's the tipping point. He's the beginning of the next generation of these guys and as we saw in the closing pages of Kick-Ass 3 #8 the SUPER-POWERED characters who replace him are starting to appear. A kind of superhero Darwinism, probability increasing the chances of more superheroes exponentially with every one that appears. The first of these is...

*NEMESIS who is referred to here in the closing pages as the cop killer in Japan.

*MPH who are referred to here as the four kids breaking the sound barrier on foot

*And finally SUPERIOR. Simon, the kid with MS who stars in the book, can be seen leaving the theatre near the end of this issue, Dave holding the door open for he and his friend, essentially passing the hero baton along for him to pick up and then we pull back to see the opening scene in Superior where Simon and Chris are exiting Superior 5. Superior is another character who will appear in JUPITER'S LEGACY at some point as this is the magical world where he's summoned from in the story and...

*...SUPERCROOKS takes place in this world too, hence the two posters on the cinema wall.

*All the other books tie together too but there's a LOT more too this and a big plan I've had in mind for a few years. This is everything all nicely set up, but what's also nice is that you don't need to read all the books to understand. THAT SAID, reading them all will only make you appreciate the big picture all the more.

Bestest,

MM

PS Even the books not mentioned will connect as the series continue. Yes, even American Jesus. But only in the most subtle and unobtrusive way. Nobody's going to be flying around when I do that final volume in a couple of years, besides maybe a few angels in the apocalypse. Stay tuned. It's all part of the plan...

Mark Millar

Mark Millar

Kung Fu Master

• Chief
  • 7,288 posts

PS What I like about this is that we essentially have two universes. Like DC and Marvel. If I want to write about a fictional world filled with superheroes I have the Jup's Leg line, where the stories are more outrageous, and if I want to go very real I have the ones in the kinda real world like Kick-Ass and MPH. In a way it's like Earth 1 and Earth 2. But you can read every book entirely self-contained. I think that's very important.

bob mitchell

bob mitchell

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 449 posts

I actually couldn't wait to check this post out, even though I haven't been in to pick up Kick-Ass 8 yet!

I do remember that cape in Wanted and thinking years ago that it was clearly meant to belong to Superman, which was cool at the time but this sounds a lot more satisfying.

Good stuff, I'll get the last issue at the weekend, looking forward to it.

Mark Millar

Mark Millar

Kung Fu Master

• Chief
  • 7,288 posts

Utopian was the real Superman. The one-time living person he was based on :)

MM

Michael Sacal

Michael Sacal

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:Comics, movies, television, writing, editing, creating

"Jup's Leg is a series of movies and comics that exist in the real world" so within the "real world" inhabited by Kick Ass, etc, the characters in Jup Leg are entirely fictional, or, to continue the Earth 2 metaphor, they exist on a parallel world that the author of those movies and comics can access in his dreams, like Gardner Fox (fictionally) did?

To elaborate further, I get that these Jupiter's Legacy characters are based on dormant memories of the heroes that existed in the real world where Kick Ass lives that disappeared in the 80's, but is that all they are, "based on", or do they really exist/really existed as portrayed in these works of fiction? (does my question track okay? lol).

Edit: Okay, I see that the Utopian is the only one who existed. I'd delete this, but can't find how, heh.

Edited by Michael Sacal, 06 August 2014 - 05:40 PM.

Mark Millar

Mark Millar

Kung Fu Master

• Chief
  • 7,288 posts

They exist in the same way Jay Garrick existed in Flash comics read by Barry Allen. They appear to be fictional to us now, but perhaps they're still out there. 

MM

Bartlomiej Forys

Bartlomiej Forys

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

I have two guesses. A more possible one is that the mastermind behind Nemesis is a member of the Fraternity who amuses himself by letting rich guys play villains. The second is less likely, but maybe adult Jason will be Superior in the book 2 of Jupiter's Legacy. Problem is his hair color, but this may be a part of his disguise.

Michael Sacal

Michael Sacal

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 773 posts

Well, sounds like a great plan.

garjones

garjones

Muskrat Loverboy

• Moderators
  • 33,179 posts

Just check the boots are the right colour before before making that leap.

Michael Sacal

Michael Sacal

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 773 posts

Just check the boots are the right colour before before making that leap.

Well, I mean in general. Sounds like Mark has a great map for this world he's created that sounds logical and that it works.

Mark Millar

Mark Millar

Kung Fu Master

• Chief
  • 7,288 posts

Remember it's just fun though. Like how all the Pixar movies are linked, which really tickled me.

I got the idea from Alan Moore in an interview I read in my late teens where he had this map of how V, Miracleman, etc, all existed in this timeline and it blew my mind. This stuff was just done for my own amusement and doesn't impact stories in any way. It's just a nice big thing to have in the back of your mind when you read them all. Just Easter Eggs as opposed to plot specifics for each individual title.

MM

PS What tickles me most about this is that my fictional characters have their own, detailed fictional characters they enjoy :)

Michael Sacal

Michael Sacal

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 773 posts

Remember it's just fun though. Like how all the Pixar movies are linked, which really tickled me.

I got the idea from Alan Moore in an interview I read in my late teens where he had this map of how V, Miracleman, etc, all existed in this timeline and it blew my mind. This stuff was just done for my own amusement and doesn't impact stories in any way. It's just a nice big thing to have in the back of your mind when you read them all. Just Easter Eggs as opposed to plot specifics for each individual title.

MM

PS What tickles me most about this is that my fictional characters have their own, detailed fictional characters they enjoy smile.png

Cool.

Edited by Michael Sacal, 06 August 2014 - 06:31 PM.

craggy

craggy

Assembling Autos

• +Subscribers
  • 18,344 posts

like Tarantino's films where there are those that are set in his "real world" and those which are fictions that those real world characters might enjoy.

I like it, especially that Wanted has been the foundation of it.

MikeLun

MikeLun

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

In Wanted there was an Earth that Wesley called Parallel-2 and described it as two decades older and still has superheroes (and seems kind of like Earth-2).  Is Parallel-2 the Jupiter's Legacy Earth?

Chris Fenton

Chris Fenton

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,731 posts
This is very cool.

I do remember someone asking you about this at Kapow Mark and you said that Dave's world was not the same world as that of Simon. That is if my memory serves correctly, however the way you have talked about the timeline makes this work.

Mark Millar

Mark Millar

Kung Fu Master

• Chief
  • 7,288 posts

I couldn't give game away :)

But the second I wrote issue one of Superior I was trying to work this in. That's why it took place over just 7 days. It had to stay as close to our world as poss.

MM

Michael Sacal

Michael Sacal

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 773 posts

I couldn't give game away smile.png

But the second I wrote issue one of Superior I was trying to work this in. That's why it took place over just 7 days. It had to stay as close to our world as poss.

MM

Nice.

Miqque Loveland

Miqque Loveland

Ex-SuperVillain

• +Subscribers
  • 8,534 posts
  • Interests:Seeing what happens next!

Some places old Mrs. MaGruger gets a cold.  Some places this will split off alternates, one world where she has a cold, one where she does not.  However, this old fart has heard something about the conservation of energy, and sits here thinking that the pocket universe created by Mrs. MaGruger's virus would last exactly as long as the cold itself, and then such a minor change would be folded back into the parent reality.  Some places it takes a major, major event to create a split.  An event like all the super people being killed.  Sure, one can travel to other alternates - but be careful.  Whatever created that other alternate might be pretty powerful.  

Mark, I finally read One Million.  Didn't have a clue about it beforehand.  You had the first story, making me wonder how much of this was your baby?  Did you and Morrison work together on this one?  It does seem like there was an adequate amount of psychedelic substances involved.  (No protesting - aside from mushrooms there are things like nutmeg which are psychoactive.  For all I know, you was drinkin' that nutmeg beer!)

J.R. LeMar

J.R. LeMar

J.R The Atheist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

I got the idea from Alan Moore in an interview I read in my late teens where he had this map of how V, Miracleman, etc, all existed in this timeline and it blew my mind.

That timeline is reprinted in  Kimota! The Miracleman Companion The gist of it is that Dr. Gargunza, Miracleman's creator/nemesis also originally built the Fate computer, using the same alien tech that he used to create the Miracleman family. And the two worlds of Miracleman and V are essentially the same up until 1982, when they split off.

In one timeline Michael Moran remembers his magic word and becomes Miracleman again and that story continues. As Moore explains, the man who would have eventually become V was one of the thousands killed in the big Miracleman/Kid Miracleman battle that destroyed London and led to Miracleman and the other superbeings taking over the world and making it a Utopia. Therefor there was no WWIII. In the other timeline Michael never remembered his magic word and so never became Miracleman again, and was one of the millions killed during World War III in 1988 which then lead to the fascist takeover of Britain and the rise of V. The timeline then jumps thousands of years ahead where apparently they reconverge, either way the Warpsmiths and other alien races end up dominating the Earth, while the Fate computer, having become self-aware, goes into hiding and grows. Eventually it all leads to Axel Pressbutton and the other various future sci-fi titles that Quality comics had published.

Mark Millar

Mark Millar

Kung Fu Master

• Chief
  • 7,288 posts

Amazing! Where was it orignally? I was worried I imagined this. I remember him saying V would have happened if Mike had missed that train in 1982 in Warrior #1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users