Photo

Doctor Who: The Bells of St John (SPOILERS)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

garjones

garjones

Muskrat Loverboy

• Taliesin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,212 posts
Post Christmas episode Q&A:

Paul F

Paul F

Perpetually Tired

• +Subscribers
  • 9,653 posts
A few clips in the new BBC One trailer:

Looks like another Clara again, judging from the hairstyle?

Mike

Mike

wisnae there at a'

• Admin
  • 467 posts
Right ... Clara theories - go!

I suspect she'll be something new, which in the interests of not swallowing your own tail is probably for the good, but the best 'referencing recent history' theory I've seen is that Clara is a projection of CAL from the Library.

Christian U

Christian U

Lord of Eurovision

• +Subscribers
  • 21,561 posts
  • Interests:Lots of 'em.

Uh, she's like, she's, she's become unstuck in time for some reason, like, something with the time vortex, and when she dies, she, uh, her, like, essence is reborn in another temporal setting, and uh, but the thing is, it'll turn out that, ah, this was done by somebody, to, like, to protect her, because something is after her, she's important, and that something, it's hunting her through space and time and only the whole dying/being reborn in another place thing has allowed her to escape so far and the thing is, her genetic code that's being transferred and reborn with her every time, that's the key, it's, her DNA sequence contains a key to doing something totally important, probably something horrible that some alien race will do to the universe and the person who managed to do this to her, that sort of has to be a Time Lord, doesn't it, so there has to be another Time Lord around, can't be the Master, shouldn't be the other buggers we've seen with James Bond, so, so, it's another Time Lord, and he's sort of gone crazy, but not in a creepy Master way, he just can't hold it together, which is why he isn't looking for Oswin anymore, but the Doctor has to find him because only he can do, uh, a thing, that will, with Clara's DNA, it will put a stop to the Evil Aliens' plan.

Mike

Mike

wisnae there at a'

• Admin
  • 467 posts
I love you Christian. You may have my babies.

The Lorcan Nagle

The Lorcan Nagle

life is one, two, deculture! Hang in there, me!

• Moderators
  • 8,511 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, comics, movies, death robots, RPGs, wargames, anime
option 1: she's dawn from buffy
option 2: she's jean grey
option 3: she's optimus prime

Christian U

Christian U

Lord of Eurovision

• +Subscribers
  • 21,561 posts
  • Interests:Lots of 'em.

I love you Christian. You may have my babies.

Awesome! They'll be beautiful, Mike. Sooooo beautiful.

Russell H

Russell H

Tea dancer

• +Subscribers
  • 7,534 posts
  • Interests:Tea.

option 1: she's dawn from buffy
option 2: she's jean grey
option 3: she's optimus prime

option 4: she's the real last of the Jagaroth.

Dave Wallace

Dave Wallace

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,585 posts
I gave up on playing along with Moffat's setups a while ago, as it's hard to guess at solutions to mysteries when the key elements either don't make sense, or are thrown in at the last minute rather than being there from the beginning.

steveuk

steveuk

clouded inner eye

• +Subscribers
  • 14,300 posts
  • Interests:Movies, pubs, TV, pubs, Visual FX, pubs, friends, pubs.

I gave up on playing along with Moffat's setups a while ago, as it's hard to guess at solutions to mysteries when the key elements either don't make sense, or are thrown in at the last minute rather than being there from the beginning.

option 5: Moffat was making it up as he went along.

Dave Wallace

Dave Wallace

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,585 posts
Exactly! :)

Jim Ohara

Jim Ohara

Asskicker of the Fantastic

• +Subscribers
  • 16,928 posts
  • Interests:Shenanigans

I suspect she'll be something new, which in the interests of not swallowing your own tail is probably for the good, but the best 'referencing recent history' theory I've seen is that Clara is a projection of CAL from the Library.

She's a person who's born, dies and then is reborn in the future. We don't know if she has parents or a childhood, so we don't know if she's born as a baby or just appears as a fully figured 26 year old, destined to die soon after. But she's clearly the same person each time, and she's human (or the sonic would have figured it out). My guess is she's a clone being placed again and again throughout the time stream for some reason (probably controlled by the original Clara).

The interesting question is if she only appears every so often or if there's a Clara at all points in history and there are in fact thousands of versions of her.

Sanjay

Sanjay

The Maharajah of DOOM!

• Moderators
  • 5,918 posts
She's Hindu!

And keeps being reincarnated

Mike

Mike

wisnae there at a'

• Admin
  • 467 posts
There was an Alpha Flight character whose power was to summon versions of himself from different evolutionary stages of humanity - he usually summoned a Stone Age version and a far future version, emphasising brawn and brains respectively. Which has no real bearing on Clara.

Martin Smith

Martin Smith

Gastronomic Show Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,348 posts
Yeah, I'm going for some fractured through time thing, like Scaroth from City of Death. I would love it if every episode has a new Clara who dies at the end. At the end of the series, the Doctor just gives up and finds someone else to travel with.

HowardAshton

HowardAshton

Does whatever a spider can

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Post Christmas episode Q&A:

Oh goodness me, just in case I wasn't already enough in love with her, she has a Lancashire accent.

Patrick A

Patrick A

Paddy, The Super Mod!!

• Admin
  • 4,267 posts

Yeah, I'm going for some fractured through time thing, like Scaroth from City of Death. I would love it if every episode has a new Clara who dies at the end.

I thought this at first, but it will get old very quickly having the "I'm the doctor, here's the tardis" conversation every week.

Ogul

Ogul

Speaking Truth to Stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,872 posts
Ok, I rewatched Silence in the Library before rolling with this theory, but that theory would be that Clara is somehow a continuation of River Song's lifecycle post-known-ending. Somehow she's being projected back in time into new bodies somehow. "Run, you clever boy, and remember," it just seemed like a very River Song line of dialog, and slightly out of step with other Oswin/Clara lines. I suspected that the line might be in a previous episode, it wasn't in Silence, but the term "run" was used a lot in there.

Jason Hendriks

Jason Hendriks

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 998 posts

Ok, I rewatched Silence in the Library before rolling with this theory, but that theory would be that Clara is somehow a continuation of River Song's lifecycle post-known-ending. Somehow she's being projected back in time into new bodies somehow. "Run, you clever boy, and remember," it just seemed like a very River Song line of dialog, and slightly out of step with other Oswin/Clara lines. I suspected that the line might be in a previous episode, it wasn't in Silence, but the term "run" was used a lot in there.

Dear God, no. I pray that Clara has absolutely NOTHING to do with River Song.

Dave Wallace

Dave Wallace

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,585 posts
Me too. If there's one character whose backstory really doesn't need to get any more convoluted, it's River. Plus, I'm rather hoping that the character is going to be 'rested' after featuring so heavily in the last series and the Amy-Rory sendoff. Clara feels like a fresh start to an extent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users