201 replies to this topic

Rory Abel

Rory Abel

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,800 posts

'Men in Black 3'

Thinking it over, it's got a few things going for it. After the mess that was 'MIB2' its great that they really tried to bring the heart back to the story. The problem here is that the film takes a long time to get going and the intro is really irritating. The 60's stuff is a lot better than the modern sections, which is unfortunate because they are where the heart is meant to pay off.

It would all work a lot better if they didn't try to tie everything together so tightly. It's a little too much.

Yeah I thought the resolution kind of diminished the first film.
Spoiler
I really liked the fourth dimensional alien though and though his scenes tended to be the best.

Steve Sensible

Steve Sensible

The Doctor is in.

• +Subscribers
  • 18,834 posts
Made it about half an hour into Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland before I bailed. Utter crap.

Chris D

Chris D

Writes fanfiction about himself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,098 posts

Made it about half an hour into Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland before I bailed. Utter crap.

I made the mistake of not bailing. It never got any better. It astounds me that it managed to make over $1 billion at the box office. It was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.

steveuk

steveuk

totally not mad

• +Subscribers
  • 16,510 posts
  • Interests:Movies, pubs, TV, pubs, Visual FX, pubs, friends, pubs.
I don't get the level of antipathy to 'Alice'. I don't find it very involving and the final battle is entirely by the numbers, but Linda Wolverton has a good ear for dialogue and nothing hangs around long enough to really get up my nose.

Burton's version of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' is much the same and I don't hate that either.

steveuk

steveuk

totally not mad

• +Subscribers
  • 16,510 posts
'The Girl' on BBC2, just started.

Toby Jones has got Hitchcock's voice exactly right. I hope the rest of it is as good.

Rory Abel

Rory Abel

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,800 posts
It's not. He's amazing in the role but the film is pretty dull.

Steve Sensible

Steve Sensible

The Doctor is in.

• +Subscribers
  • 18,834 posts
I thought it was fantastic. Looked terrific, was suitably creepy and compelling, and both Toby Jones and Sienna Miller were brilliant.

David Chapman

David Chapman

Agent of M.I.L.L.A.R.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,359 posts

I made the mistake of not bailing. It never got any better. It astounds me that it managed to make over $1 billion at the box office. It was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.

The title gets people into the cinema, so does the director. Tim Burton has way too many fans for a man who hasn't made a great movie since 1996.

Ian Smith

Ian Smith

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 515 posts
Watched Burtons Alice In Wonderland earlier, everything was so cold and lifeless and there was just so much CGI on the screen that i lost interest pretty quickly.

And on a totally different note i just finished watching Terminator 2 and man that thumbs up at the end still gets me every time.

And why am i seeing adverts for this new Wizard of Oz movie when it dosen't come out till march, it's not even 2013 yet.

Edited by Ian Smith, 27 December 2012 - 12:54 AM.

Arjan Dirkse

Arjan Dirkse

average worldling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts
In my current run of "giving movies I previousy didn't like but was still intrigued by a second chance" I watched Inglourious Bastards again, it was OK, some bits were not that good, or kind of stupid, and other bits were great.

Edited by Arjan Dirkse, 27 December 2012 - 01:23 AM.

stephanie familiar

stephanie familiar

Victim of Circumstance

• +Subscribers
  • 7,879 posts

It's not. He's amazing in the role but the film is pretty dull.

it was a potentially very interesting story to be told and sienna miller's performance was great, but the way it was put together really lacked... something.

Carlos Mancilla II

Carlos Mancilla II

Bestow Upon Thee!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,184 posts
Just started watching the latest season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.. still cracks me up, I think I just like it more due to the fact that it seems like everyone on the show is just having a good time.. Third episode in and each one of them still crack me up

stephanie familiar

stephanie familiar

Victim of Circumstance

• +Subscribers
  • 7,879 posts

Just started watching the latest season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.. still cracks me up, I think I just like it more due to the fact that it seems like everyone on the show is just having a good time.. Third episode in and each one of them still crack me up

really? that show's formula got tired pretty quick.

garjones

garjones

Muskrat Loverboy

• Moderators
  • 34,427 posts

The title gets people into the cinema, so does the director.

I think in this case the main driver for getting to a billion dollars was it was the first 3D film out after Avatar. Burton has a fanbase big enough to ensure his films make money but not that much.

Nicholas Taggart

Nicholas Taggart

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,477 posts

it was a potentially very interesting story to be told and sienna miller's performance was great, but the way it was put together really lacked... something.

I thought it lacked most things.

I found the most interesting thing about it was to compare the screen test as it was in the film to the actual screen test

Stands out how much it was changed to fit with the kind of story they wanted to tell.

Nicholas Taggart

Nicholas Taggart

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,477 posts
I just started watching Doors Open. A heist movie starring Stephen Fry. A dream I never knew I had!

Mike

Mike

isnae here at a'

• Illuminati
  • 1 posts
Random kids film on the telly, The Thief Lord. Lead child looked familiar - turns out to be Aaron Johnson. Told my mum, who refused to believe this was person now married to Sam Taylor-Wood. Film made in 2006.

Steve Sensible

Steve Sensible

The Doctor is in.

• +Subscribers
  • 18,834 posts
Dredd. What a dull movie. If it was a dog, a kind man would have put it to sleep, because there was almost no discernible sign of life in it whatsoever.

Plot-wise it made no sense - apparently Ma Ma controls the entire supply of the most popular new drug in Mega City One and can afford to bribe judges a million credits, and yet she lives in a slum. And despite having taken over the entire block, she still feels the need to throw people from the top of it, as a "warning" (a warning to who if she already controls the block?) thus alerting the judges to her presence.

And then, because the film-makers have no budget, we spend the rest of the movie stuck inside a bunch of faceless, featureless corridors, while Dredd ambles aimlessly around accosted by maybe a dozen people in the whole movie, despite the fact we're told the entire population of the block is out for his head.

There's the occasional shooting or explosion, but there's nothing remotely bad-ass or interesting about Dredd - a lot of the time he's pretty inept in fact - so why should we care? Answer - we don't.

Dredd's almost a non-character - what's interesting about him is the bizarre, colourful, hilarious world he inhabits, but we see nothing of that beyond a few big square buildings. So it begs the question, if they didn't have the budget to do it justice, why did they bother? All they've done is to kill it stone dead as a possible movie franchise. It tanked at the box office - it barely made back half its budget worldwide - so after two disastrous attempts at making Dredd a movie star, only a fool would make a third attempt.

steveuk

steveuk

totally not mad

• +Subscribers
  • 16,510 posts
The thread is still open if you want to discuss any of this?

http://forums.millar...spoilers-ahead/

I'd continue here, but it could go on for a bit and a mod will just have to transfer all the posts at some point?

Chris D

Chris D

Writes fanfiction about himself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,098 posts

And why am i seeing adverts for this new Wizard of Oz movie when it dosen't come out till march, it's not even 2013 yet.

But it will be in a few days. March isn't that far away. Though I haven't seen any TV ads for Oz

really? that show's formula got tired pretty quick.

Still works for me. I basically view Sunny as Seinfeld on crack.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: What Are You Watching?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users