78 replies to this topic

CurtisTiegs

CurtisTiegs

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Comics, video games, Ripley: http://ripleysrufflife.tumblr.com
So, anyone get to see this early? I was able to get into a screening of it last night and I've got to say, not only is this the best Tarantino flick, it's one of the best this year. It was unexpectedly funnier than I thought, unflinchingly brutal and touching. I think this is the big one for Tarantino, he's finally done a movie that's got heart, this will have that mainstream appeal that might put people off of his films. For fans of old spaghetti westerns this is a must see. The movie starts off with the title song of the original movie and there's even a bit of Morricone in there as well!

I loved it and can't wait to see it again!

jefferson l.o.b sergeant

jefferson l.o.b sergeant

To Change? or Not to Change? It's 2 questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Anime, Political Science, weightlifting

So, anyone get to see this early? I was able to get into a screening of it last night and I've got to say, not only is this the best Tarantino flick, it's one of the best this year. It was unexpectedly funnier than I thought, unflinchingly brutal and touching. I think this is the big one for Tarantino, he's finally done a movie that's got heart, this will have that mainstream appeal that might put people off of his films. For fans of old spaghetti westerns this is a must see. The movie starts off with the title song of the original movie and there's even a bit of Morricone in there as well!

I loved it and can't wait to see it again!

How did you get to see this before me?

CurtisTiegs

CurtisTiegs

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Comics, video games, Ripley: http://ripleysrufflife.tumblr.com
I know some people that know some people :P

A buddy of mine is a movie reviewer and gets free passes all the time for screenings. I was going to see this on my birthday, but now that I've seen it, my girlfriend is going to take me to the Hobbit. I think I'd rather see Django again :)

Johnny Henning

Johnny Henning

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts
I'm hopeful. Tarantino's movies generally bring a nuanced perspective to race and racism, but in this, it looks like it's right up front.

From KILL BILL to INGLORIUS BASTERDS, I've been far less interested in Tarantino's movies than his first three. I'm still entertained.

I think he needs more editing though. KILL BILL should've been one movie and DEATH PROOF barely had enough really to support an hour's worth of watching. Even BASTERDS tended to run on too long.

Chris D

Chris D

Writes fanfiction about himself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,098 posts

I think he needs more editing though. KILL BILL should've been one movie and DEATH PROOF barely had enough really to support an hour's worth of watching. Even BASTERDS tended to run on too long.

With you on that. But I do find myself more interested in this one than I have in the last few Tarantino movies. Still on the fence about when I'll see it (whether I'll go to the theater or wait for DVD), but I do want to see it.

Todd Gross

Todd Gross

Send in the clowns

• +Subscribers
  • 20,016 posts

I'm hopeful. Tarantino's movies generally bring a nuanced perspective to race and racism, but in this, it looks like it's right up front.

From KILL BILL to INGLORIUS BASTERDS, I've been far less interested in Tarantino's movies than his first three. I'm still entertained.

Death Proof was a disaster from start to finish.

Have you seen Highwaymen with Jim Caveziel? That was everything DP wanted to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell H

Russell H

Tea dancer

• +Subscribers
  • 8,689 posts
  • Interests:Tea.
Death Proof is a lot better if you watch it before Planet Terror instead of after.

Johnny Henning

Johnny Henning

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Death Proof was a disaster from start to finish.

Have you seen Highwaymen with Jim Caveziel? That was everything DP wanted to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to check that out. I generally like Caveziel.

Ricardo_C

Ricardo_C

These are attack eyebrows

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,915 posts
Saw it today, followed by Les Miserables, in honor of Sam Jackson and Anne Hathaway's sad-off.

While it's essentially the lovechild of a spaghetti western and a blaxploitation movie, Tarantino never lets the film feel like exploitative. Even when nearly every character is portrayed as a hyperreal extreme, scenes dealing with slaves and their abuse are done as straightforwardly as it is possible in a QT movie. That's not to say that they were handled tastefully. QT doesn't flinch or look away from anything, periodically splashing a bucket of cold water over us whenever we start to get comfortable. The film is essentially the ultimate revenge fantasy story, but the monsters in it are real, part of our recent history, and we're constantly confronted with that reality.

While Foxx and Waltz were the perfect buddy movie team, and DiCaprio an inspired villain, my favorite performance was probably Sam Jackson's.

I'd love to discuss specific scenes, but nearly every detail risks ruining your first viewing.

Russell H

Russell H

Tea dancer

• +Subscribers
  • 8,689 posts
  • Interests:Tea.
Huffington Post review - http://www.huffingto..._b_2281616.html
Tarantino (politely) debates a point in the HuffPo review with the reviewer - http://www.huffingto..._n_2340987.html

Will Carper

Will Carper

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,932 posts

While it's essentially the lovechild of a spaghetti western and a blaxploitation movie, Tarantino never lets the film feel like exploitative. Even when nearly every character is portrayed as a hyperreal extreme, scenes dealing with slaves and their abuse are done as straightforwardly as it is possible in a QT movie. That's not to say that they were handled tastefully. QT doesn't flinch or look away from anything, periodically splashing a bucket of cold water over us whenever we start to get comfortable. The film is essentially the ultimate revenge fantasy story, but the monsters in it are real, part of our recent history, and we're constantly confronted with that reality.

I completely agree. I thought the movie was fantastic, and all my fears about Tarantino's handling of the horrors of slavery assuaged.

I also think the N-word usage in this movie was warranted, unlike say that famous rant in Pulp Fiction. Here, the word is largely used by slavemasters, and the word goes to show how slaves were nothing more than commodities in their eyes. Like the tortures Tarantino doesn't flinch away from showing, the word needs to be in there. I can't really think of many movies that deal with slavery this brutally and honestly*. Maybe Amistad, but I haven't seen the whole thing. And like you say, the horrors aren't exaggerated or fetishized, as violence typically is in a Tarantino movie. It's horrific, but that's because this country's history is horrific, and any other portrayal of such would be insulting.

*It is important to note that apparently the Mandingo fighting in the movie wasn't a real thing, instead being a reference to a 70s movie with James Mason that's one of QT's favorites. Everything else though--the bits slaves are forced to wear in their mouths, the hotbox, castration, etc.--all stuff that was really done to enforce white supremacy.

Polo Black

Polo Black

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 642 posts
I saw it last night and loved it!

My favorite part was when one of the caged slaves looked at Django like he was Tupac and smiled. This was the same brother that hated Django's arrogance, status and freedom the day before, but when the opportunity came for him to throw him under the bus he instead told the truth, thereby giving Dejango his freedom back and as a result his own. It was a beautiful moment of solidarity that undid the fervent nastiness of Samuel L. Jackson's character. It was great, the Alexandre Dumas part was too.

The entire film was more than worthy of the excited cheers and applause that erupted at it's end. The predominately Black audience in the theater I attended was ecstatic. I'm glad it was a hit and I can't wait for the sequel. The woman slaver with her face covered by a scarf was noticeably absent during the bloodshed at the movie's climax. She was a Tarantino sequel villain if there ever was one

Will Carper

Will Carper

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,932 posts

I saw it last night and loved it!

My favorite part was when one of the caged slaves looked at Django like he was Tupac and smiled. This was the same brother that hated Django's arrogance, status and freedom the day before, but when the opportunity came for him to throw him under the bus he instead told the truth, thereby giving Dejango his freedom back and as a result his own. It was a beautiful moment of solidarity that undid the fervent nastiness of Samuel L. Jackson's character. It was great, the Alexandre Dumas part was too.

The entire film was more than worthy of the excited cheers and applause that erupted at it's end. The predominately Black audience in the theater I attended was ecstatic. I'm glad it was a hit and I can't wait for the sequel. The woman slaver with her face covered by a scarf was noticeably absent during the bloodshed at the movie's climax. She was a Tarantino sequel villain if there ever was one

I was bothered by Jackson's one-dimensionality, too--he was a jerk (beyond a jerk), but some empathy with his situation would have been nice. I loved the Dumas scene, too! I actually learned something I'd never known before.

And the woman with the red bandana
Spoiler

Jacowboy (Jonathan)

Jacowboy (Jonathan)

half right, half wrong & entirely delicious!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,421 posts
So... is this like pretty much every other Tarantino movie, but in a different setting? :tongue:

I think I'm gonna wait 'til it hits the interwebs... if ever... I'm kinda over his movies... =/

Polo Black

Polo Black

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 642 posts

So... is this like pretty much every other Tarantino movie, but in a different setting? Posted Image

I think I'm gonna wait 'til it hits the interwebs... if ever... I'm kinda over his movies... =/

I don't recall a love story that's so powerful in any other Tarantino movie. If you don't see it you're doing yourself a disservice.

Robert B

Robert B

Circumstantial evidence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,593 posts
Spike Lee has really railed into this movie. I haven't seen it but I have to admit he's articulated some of what's made me uncomfortable about the trailers and reluctant to see it. We'll see, maybe I'll check it out at some point.

Christian U

Christian U

Lord of Eurovision

• +Subscribers
  • 23,651 posts
  • Interests:Lots of 'em.

Spike Lee has really railed into this movie. I haven't seen it but I have to admit he's articulated some of what's made me uncomfortable about the trailers and reluctant to see it. We'll see, maybe I'll check it out at some point.

Two things about the Spike Lee thing, at least as it appears in the first hit after googling it:

Although he hasn't seen the movie, director Spike Lee tells Vibe that Quentin Tarantino's new Civil War-era Western Django Unchained is "disrespectful to my ancestors."

That, right there? Come on, Spike Lee.

And the other thing:

Lee, whose latest film Red Hook Summer deals with race and class in the South Brooklyn neighborhood, said he has no plans to see Django Unchained. He elaborated on his dissatisfaction on Twitter, writing, "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them."

Considering that Tarantino turned the actual Holocaust into a Sergio Leone Western... well, I am sure there were people complaining about that, too. And probably rightly so, from a certain point of view. It helps to remember that Tarantino doesn't make movies about the events themselves, but mostly about the movies about those events.

steveuk

steveuk

totally not mad

• +Subscribers
  • 16,522 posts
  • Interests:Movies, pubs, TV, pubs, Visual FX, pubs, friends, pubs.

<SNIP>

I can't really think of many movies that deal with slavery this brutally and honestly*. Maybe Amistad, but I haven't seen the whole thing.

<SNIP>

'Amistad' isn't really about slavery, it's about politics in mid-19th century America. That's one of it's problems. It does show some of the violence and murder that was inherent in slavery, but then it goes back to the courtroom for very long stretches of time.

I generally like Tarantino movies and especially 'Inglorious Basterds' so I'm seeing 'Django' when it opens here next month and greatly looking forward to it.

John Brook

John Brook

Change we can be melodramatic about

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Well... I liked it but I feared Sally Menke's passing would be problematic for Tarantino... And it is indeed. I liked it, but the editing is a bit problematic toward the end. While its quite good, I think there is probably an amazing movie that could eventually come out of this, if there is ever an extended version...

Jacowboy (Jonathan)

Jacowboy (Jonathan)

half right, half wrong & entirely delicious!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,421 posts

I don't recall a love story that's so powerful in any other Tarantino movie. If you don't see it you're doing yourself a disservice.

Yeah, I'm sure there's something "new" in there... The point is, every Tarantino picture I've seen has been generally the same, but with different costumes, so to speak...

Revenge tales, with some love story bits inserted and a bunch of unexpected conversations. Same formula over and over. He keeps doing homages, of other movies and of himself, instead of original stories.

I'll probably give it a go at some point, but I'm not expecting much. Specially after IB. To be fair, I did like some bits of IB, particularly the begining, and probably another couple of scenes... the rest of it was a complete drag though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users