138 replies to this topic

John Strachey

John Strachey

Scribbler of Tales.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Writing comics n stuff.

Glasgow League of Writers on tv. Typically, I missed this meeting so I didn't get my moment of fame.

http://local.stv.tv/...street-studios/

THE REAL SCOTt

THE REAL SCOTt

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Turned in my VINCENT PRICE PRESENTS story. On to the next one.

craggy

craggy

Replacement

• +Subscribers
  • 17,609 posts

just a few days away from a creative endeavour. Our very own Umar "Danger" Ditta and myself have plotted a wrestling show, using characters we've created, and which I'm going to play out on the WWE13 game and film on a capture card and with a friend, commentate over, for upload to youtube or twitch.tv or something. I'd say it's a step somewhere between basic plotting and full script, as far as the content of the matches go, but other than some important lines I'm writing down as I plot out the matches in more depth, I think the commentary will be more or less live, off the cuff, performance art stuff. Which isn't to say we might do some retakes, but I'm hoping to do it all "as live" as possible. Not strictly comic-book related, but I'll be glad when it's completed...Of course, after the filming comes the editing. Arg!

Chris D

Chris D

Writes fanfiction about himself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,733 posts

Sounds fun, craggy!

Christian U

Christian U

Lord of Eurovision

• +Subscribers
  • 21,556 posts
  • Interests:Lots of 'em.

Soooo summer holidays have started and I'll hopefully get my creative juices flowing before they completely dry out. A few organisational things to do first, though:

1. Send my play in for the national children's radio award. Bit of a pain in the arse, since you have to send in - amongst other things, and a CD with the play, of course - the entire manuscript 10 times. But this is the one, I can check off the list, done it yesterday.

2. Go through the theatre play I wrote for for the school's theatre group this year, tidy it up a bit, send it in to some publishers. Gonna get a start on that today.

3. Send letters to some book publishers asking whether they'd be interested in publishing novels based on the two radio plays I've done. I'd like to do those as books, and I think they'd be pretty cool.

When I'm finished with that, I can get a start on actually writing something again...

Christian U

Christian U

Lord of Eurovision

• +Subscribers
  • 21,556 posts

...and now those are all done. Now I'm out of excuses to get any actual writing done.

Christian U

Christian U

Lord of Eurovision

• +Subscribers
  • 21,556 posts

Already mentioned this over in the pub - the youth play is getting picked up. It's a publisher for school and lay theatre, so no big bucks, but still, yay! It'll be fun to see other people doing my play. And actually depending on how often it's performed, there is some money in there.

The first rejection letters concerning  point 3 on the agenda have come in. Damn; two of I think five or six publishers I wrote to have declined. Ah well, I don't even know if picking up something like this when there isn't an actual manuscript for a book yet was something publishers might go for, but it was worth a shot given that it involved doing no work whatsoever :)

Deniz

Deniz

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Things have been moving for me a bit, which is fun.

Currently have 3 scripts being worked on - one, an 8 pager for Future Noir, another a 20-pager for submission and hopefully for future installments, and another 20 pager that represents the first of a 3 issue mini series.

Additionally I've been developing a new concept/story/series after being contacted by Paranoid Press for a pitch, which will be co-owned. That's been good; I really enjoy working within parameters, as much as I do working without.

I'm also working with a croatian artist who has a very developed idea of what he wants his story to be (one he's worked on for years) and wants someone to help with the plotting and dialogue and world building. SOme of the artwork for this has already been completed, so I'm finding the whole process to be disorienting and uncomfortable, in a good way. Stretching new and interesting muscles, and trying to put some of myself into something that is very obviously so much of someone else...it's a good exercise.

Finally, I'm developing two other mini series; one with the artist for the 8 pager, after we realized we're kindred spirits and have a lot of the same interests. Currently it's still very much in the fetal stage, but it's one of the more exciting things I've done, a little outside of my wheelhouse in how grounded it is.

The other is a superhero thing, your typical 'about superheroes' rather than being 'a superhero book'. A little Ellis and Morrison and early Moore in there, I suppose, a critique on the strangehold the genre has on the medium, with a healthy dose of anti-corportism. I've got many pages of world-building notes and 20 pages of that scripted out, of what I imagine will be 120. Think it could possible garner a little bit of attention.

Good to be stretching these creative muscles while I can! Hopefully I'll have something to put out there soon.

Edited by Deniz, 11 September 2013 - 10:52 PM.

Marco Fortis

Marco Fortis

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank b'jesus for this thread - I wasn't sure if we were allowed to talk novels on this site. I've recently finished one and working feverishly on some more set in the same universe. NaNoWriMo is a good discipline to work towards I find. Would love some feedback one where I'm at so far though...

www.nechronicles.com

Frederick Pullin

Frederick Pullin

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Writing, comics/graphic novels/BD, novels, short stories.

I haven't posted here in a while, but it's good to see everyone is keeping busy.

Just (well, last month) put up my latest novel on Amazon. It's titled "Night Transfer" and listed under my pen name Hunter F. Goss. It's the second installment in my paranormal/alternate history series revolving around a (literal) Wall Street bloodsucker and his Undead friends.

Right now working on a short story in my Phil Timmins series set in the UK.

Edited by Frederick Pullin, 19 November 2013 - 07:04 AM.

THE REAL SCOTt

THE REAL SCOTt

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts
Taking over the SURVIVORMAN ongoing series.

Chris D

Chris D

Writes fanfiction about himself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,733 posts

Been some time since I posted in here.  I have been keeping busy, but haven't been doing all that much writing.  Was finishing up my book for the better part of 2013.  Finally got that completed and it's been up on amazon for a little while now. You can take a look at the cover (and I guess peek inside if you're so inclined) here:

The Sidewalk Shadow Disengage Gravity

I started in on a new project, but it's in the very, very early stages.  Only have about 700 words actually written and very little time to concentrate on it.  But it's a start.

THE REAL SCOTt

THE REAL SCOTt

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted an interview with John Rozum on www.ReconditePictures.com. 

THE REAL SCOTt

THE REAL SCOTt

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Quit Survivorman. Posted interview with Leah Moore and John Reppion at www.ReconditePictures.com.

Christian U

Christian U

Lord of Eurovision

• +Subscribers
  • 21,556 posts

My play has by now been published here:

http://www.dtver.de/...roduct_id/10568

This is a publisher purely for the stage; as with most plays, you can't buy the play as a book if you're a private person, you can only by the rights to staging it. Which hopefully people will do... I am looking forward to seeing other people produce it. If it happens. Which would be good. Hm. Well. We will see.

Arjan Dirkse

Arjan Dirkse

anti-realist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,308 posts

I am currently putting some stuff on a tumblr blog. It's just fragments of poems right now (poems which are for sale from ridiculously expensive Lulu) but I'll put other stuff on it too, in the future. Perhaps.

Edited by Arjan Dirkse, 14 April 2014 - 02:57 PM.

James L. Sarandis

James L. Sarandis

Superpal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Wow, so much stuff to catch up on.

I have a letterer Adam Wollet, and he's great, he's really pushing the comic to where I want to to be.

I'm going to be doing a Kickstarter in June, my first one and I'm doing my best to make sure I do it right.

Lastly I'm writing a book, I'm doing roughly a page a day hopefully by the end of the year I'll have a book (or at least be ready for some serious editing.)

TimmyB

TimmyB

Grand Master Weasel of the Dark Segment

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Sci-fi and funky alternative stuff generally, medieval sword fighting, writing, organising a London based sci-fi drinks sesh, panmedium nonsense

Just finished first half of my London-based urban fantasy novel after numerous drafts and reworkings - got some grounded hopes that second part will now be a little more straightforward with all the background work done. Choose your tagline:

A) Like if Harry Potter grew up to be directed by Guy Ritche

B) Crapper than Harry Dresden, ruder than Alex Verus, [name withheld] returns to the big city to deal with lost souls, big issues, and unfinished business

C) Drunk wizards saving London

Also gotta get back working on second book in my Young Adults series and start submitting the first volume after a last edit; oh and having a crack at drawing the Silver Surfer eight-pager I scripted last year.

As Churchill put it - KBO!

(Keep Buggering On)

David Meadows

David Meadows

L.L.L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,577 posts

I wouldn't be able to resist a book with the tagline "Drunk wizards saving London".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: writing, November

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users