- - - - - writing November

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Alice

Alice

Victim of Circumstance

• Admin
  • 1,243 posts
  • Interests:Some people. Others are indifferent.
The writing thread was getting long and untidy so as the hallowed month of a novel and is working on new stuff, Bovy is following a few own projects, James L. Sarandis worked on a short story, Geoffrey D. Wessel was very unpolitely rejected but lives to write on and prove uncouth publishers wrong -eventually, Christian U had a story produced for radio broadcast, HdE Smith suffered through the agonies of editing, cjames...89 told us about his Project Isolation and Chris D was feeling poorly so not very inspired.

Me, I have been mostly writing programme guides about HBO shows and writing voice over scripts for various TV channels. I've started a new project but it hasn't taken shape yet so it's not so much a project as an idea with lots of notes. time will tell.

So, What will the autumn/winter 2012 season bring budding writers netwide?

You tell me...

Russell H

Russell H

Tea dancer

• +Subscribers
  • 8,351 posts
  • Interests:Tea.
NaNoWriMo has inspired me to get back to writing after a frustrating absence. I'm not actually planning a novel, just using this as an excuse.

Does watching films in the same genre to avoid repeating ideas count as research?

Mark Peyton

Mark Peyton

Sinestro Mod

• Moderators
  • 4,771 posts
Working on a novel mostly as a way of making sure I write whilst figuring how to try more comic work.

Alice

Alice

Victim of Circumstance

• Admin
  • 1,243 posts
  • Interests:Some people. Others are indifferent.

Does watching films in the same genre to avoid repeating ideas count as research?

Certainly. I'm sure it does.

Frederick Pullin

Frederick Pullin

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Writing, comics/graphic novels/BD, novels, short stories.
Eddie;

Interesting perspective. Here's another one from Dean Wesley Smith, a pulp and sci-fi writer.

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=4360

Some of what he says dovetails nicely with Kerouac. I tend to go back to Smith's article when I see myself getting bogged down and not really putting words down on the paper.

Now I can look at Kerouac, too. Thanks.

Chris D

Chris D

Writes fanfiction about himself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,951 posts
I've never been very disciplined with my writing before, as I've not always had a lot of time to commit to it. But I've made an effort to change that in recent weeks. Set myself a goal of 1000 words a day, 5 days a week. Been going well so far. When I started, I was treading water at the beginning of "ACT 2" of my book. Now I should have that section wrapped up this weekend. If I keep up the pace, I could have a finished draft around year's end (probably a few weeks later than that, but I do tend to speed up once the end is in sight). I've also been having some decent ideas for future projects. All the creativity can cause some sleepless nights, but there's nothing quite as invigorating, creatively, as actual progress.

Frederick Pullin

Frederick Pullin

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
I couldn't find the exact post, but speaking of fast and accurate, Dean Wesley Smith cites Harlan Ellison as a prime example. Ellison is on record as having sat in bookstore windows more than once typing out a short story then taping each page to the window for passers-by to read as they came off the typewriter.

All I could say when I read about it was **WOW** Posted Image

Edited by Frederick Pullin, 02 November 2012 - 06:13 PM.

Russell H

Russell H

Tea dancer

• +Subscribers
  • 8,351 posts

Certainly. I'm sure it does.

That's good, I've been doing that for days.

Russell H

Russell H

Tea dancer

• +Subscribers
  • 8,351 posts
I think I may have a story. Or possibly ten stories. All period-set genre pieces with precious little in the way of overlapping cast. Damn my mind.

Still, thanks to Magic Jane (Jane Espenson) on Twitter, I've done two hours of solid sit in chair and do something writing. Well, early pre-plotting and naming and stuff, but that counts too.

Christian U

Christian U

Lord of Eurovision

• The Millar Street Irregulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,895 posts
  • Interests:Lots of 'em.
I haven't done any writing at all last month. I feel bad.

THE REAL SCOTt

THE REAL SCOTt

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 478 posts
I like the idea of writing challenges, and writing a novel in a month sounds about right, but there's something conformist about this idea that really turns me off. Plus, I have WAY too many other things to write this month to even think about a novel. Man, I have way too much to do. Anyone want to be my assistant?

Frederick Pullin

Frederick Pullin

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
What if you're already working on something? Maybe the best thing I can do this month is to finish the novella I'm on right now and then turn out a short story.

But the idea of taking a month and trying to get an entire novel out does have a certain appeal.

Chris D

Chris D

Writes fanfiction about himself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,951 posts

What if you're already working on something? Maybe the best thing I can do this month is to finish the novella I'm on right now and then turn out a short story.

But the idea of taking a month and trying to get an entire novel out does have a certain appeal.

Generally I see that the goal of NaNoWriMo isn't necessarily to write a complete novel so much as write 50,000 words on some project[s] during that month. So continuing with what you're doing can still fit into the spirit of the month. Since I'm over 30,000 words into my current project, I certainly won't be switching from that. I expect it'll end up being around 80,000 words in total, so I could really try to do the whole thing this month. But I probably won't have time. Also, I'm pretty comfortable with the pace I'm writing now and would hate to burn myself out by trying to double that pace.

Frederick Pullin

Frederick Pullin

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
@Chris D - -

In that case, I'll go ahead with my plan in the spirit of the month. I probably have another 8,000 words or so to go for the novella - - three major scenes and then a conclusion that has to dovetail into the next episode.

Then there's the short - - or maybe shorts - - I have two good ideas that I'd like to get down and edited before Christmas. This could be doable.

James L. Sarandis

James L. Sarandis

Superpal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,425 posts
Hey folks,

Here's another update from me.

1. Since I couldn't use my first short story for the Animism. I sent it in to the magazine Clarkesworld. No luck on that front, but on the plus side I found a nice list of magazines that take sci-fi and fantasy submissions. If anyone's interested I'll send you the list.

2. I'm nearly finished with Eye, Hand, and Voice. At least getting it all written out, I still have to break it down and edit it. I intend to at least finish the preliminaries by the end of the month.

I have a few other projects but I'll talk about them if I get to them. Have a good one folks and keep up the good work!

Kavanagh

Kavanagh

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts
I'm kind of as you were. Just finished the first draft of a TV script I've been working on for a while now. No word back on the other TV script I pitched. Wrestling novel is progressing slowly and Chapter 2 of the graphic novel is underway.

Sounds like you're pretty busy there James. Keep it up!

T Masters

T Masters

Totes Sofa King.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,062 posts
I'm insanely jealous of you all.

I'm not writing. I tried last week and wrote something like

She was lonely and dreamed of islands. The London winter brought shame and blah

blah. She woke up to a blah blah and decided to blah derivitive babble.

Blah blah a series of ernest statements blahdy blah blah blah!

I am Jack's hollowed out brain.

David Meadows

David Meadows

Satisfactory, most satisfactory

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,980 posts

I would carry on exactly like that. You could publish it as some sort of post-modern irony.

Kavanagh

Kavanagh

Victim of Circumstance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

I'm insanely jealous of you all.

I'm not writing. I tried last week and wrote something like

I am Jack's hollowed out brain.

Keep at it, man. I would say many of us have started off writing derivative crap to kick something off. Then your hollowed out brain will kick in with something imaginative just because it's so disgusted at the drivel it's allowed you to write up to that point.

If that doesn't happen, then just pretend you meant to do it like that à la Damien Hirst.

Russell H

Russell H

Tea dancer

• +Subscribers
  • 8,351 posts
Scripting!

Aiming for at least 7 pages per day between now and the end of the month - that should get me to the end of the first draft.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: writing, November

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users